×

Error message

Notice: Trying to get property 'type' of non-object in eval() (line 3 of /data/home/heather/websites/scarleteen.com/web/modules/php/php.module(80) : eval()'d code).

Advice

Anonymous asks:
I'm a 15 year old girl living in a very conservative area where the vast majority are members of a pretty conservative Christian religion. Combine this with the lack of good sex education taught in schools (that teaches abstinence-only, the state prohibits encouragement of contraceptives, and a whole bunch of other problematic stuff), most kids here, including my friends, don't know that much about sex and/or are uncomfortable talking about it.
Michael asks:
My boyfriend and I have been dating for almost 5 years now. We used to have sex all the time, if we hung out alone it was just bound to happen. In the past year or so, I've just stopped wanting to. I know it definitely has something to do with my sexual assault PTSD, which he knows about and also probably has himself, but I genuinely don't want to have sex anymore, and I have no problem with that, on my own. I am absolutely fine not being sexually active, in fact, part of me prefers it. The problem is my boyfriend.
Philip asks:
I have been looking for some information on what and how friends with benefits works. I am straight, does it only mean casual intercourse or can it be just things like “spooning” and holding hands? I am thinking of asking a very close friend if they want to be friends with benefits. But I am only comfortable with just cuddling or holding hands, maybe more but only if we both feel ready. How do I ask them? Do I need to specify what activities I feel comfortable with, or is that something that’s implied? I don’t want them to feel like I want to have sex when I just want to hold hands.
I'm turning 18 soon and I have a myriad of problems regarding sexuality. I have a few guesses as to their origins, and it's incredibly complicated with too many different factors. it's something very complicated that could only be managed with years worth of mental health counseling, but so much as talking about it in real life (as opposed to texts) sends me into panic attacks.
Tré asks:
I’m a 21 year old bisexual male. I’ve never been in a relationship, and I’m currently looking at guys to date. I’ve been on Grindr for a while and I’ve had some hookups, but it seems like I can’t find anyone to hookup with. It just seems like no one wants me. At all. I get blocked all the time and I’m told that I’m fat and ugly. I’m not unhealthy or sloppy, but I’m not skinny or muscular. I’m also on 11 other apps and I get the same responses. I see guys younger than me getting in relationships and guys being interested in them, but it just seems like no one wants me.
Frankie asks:
Hi! So I was scrolling through TikTok recently and I came upon the idea that sex positivity/sexual liberation is just the male gaze redefined. This made me upset, as growing up in a conservative household made me feel guilty for feeling any kind of sexual pleasure or confidence in my sexuality. Is it true? Should women not embrace their sexuality openly (by posting bikini pics or wearing revealing clothes)? Is that seeking validation from men?
J asks:
I'm a sixteen-year-old girl and recently realized that I am bisexual. My parents and brother have always been very clear that they will be accepting of whoever I am, so I came out to them only a few weeks after figuring things out myself. (They were indeed fine with it.) I also came out to a bunch of friends pretty quickly since most of my friends are queer, too. But now I’m really confused. I know that I am bi, but every day I doubt it.
Anonymous asks:
Hello, I'm 13 years old, and I just feel self-conscious about the fact that I am very fortunate. I came out to my family as bisexual and they completely support me, and I am SO VERY grateful that they are not in any way homophobic. They even bought everyone in my family LGBT Pride socks and bought me a Pride T-shirt and earrings too, but I am feeling self-conscious because my one friend (I will call her B) is pansexual, and her mom is homophobic.
Em asks:
My sister and I have never really gotten along. My nerdy and analytical personality has contrasted her affectionate and sensitive one for our entire lives. Though our relationship has never been perfect, everything's spiraled downhill since she enrolled in a local all-girls' Catholic school. While I was originally happy she found a community that suited her need for camaraderie, the ideals this institution enforces have ruined my perception of her. In her freshman year, her cheerleading squad bullied a lesbian teammate so viciously, she left the school.
Kevin asks:
I've always been an antifeminist and I've started to realize the error in my ways. But, now I feel empty inside and I don't know how to fill that hole. I wanted to know what I could do to help the community out, and better myself.