Nervousness around my boyfriends parents

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Angeldelight123
not a newbie

Nervousness around my boyfriends parents

Unread post by Angeldelight123 »

Me and my boyfriend have been dating for a year and a half now and everything is great apart from one thing, I can't seem to shake the first-meeting-the-parents- feeling?

It's not that they don't like me, we actually get on really well, it's just that I let my nervousness get in the way and I can't help being shy around them. At family gatherings and such I'm always so quiet and I only talk when someone engages a conversation with me, however my boyfriends siblings girlfriends seem to have no trouble with his parents, so i feel like it makes me look rude in a way? I feel like they don't know me properly at all due to my quiet nature despite being with their son for a long time.

Any advice?
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Re: Nervousness around my boyfriends parents

Unread post by Eddie C »

I feel you, Angeldelight.

But one very important thing to understand here is that, not everyone is "outgoing" or as "chatty" as others and that is okay. Personally, I don't think this would make you look rude, but just quiet. And, again, that is okay. :)

Have you tried to find out if you share any interest with them other than being related to your boyfriend? Sometimes starting a conversation about a specific topic that you know both parties are interested is easier and then you can slowly take it from there.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic