Vomiting and Pill Absorption Time

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
celica2003
not a newbie
Primary language: American English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: straight

Vomiting and Pill Absorption Time

Unread post by celica2003 »

Dear Scarleteen,
I'm on Gildess as a low dose combination birth control pill. Last night I vomited almost exactly 3 hours after taking my pill. Would this have compromised my effectiveness or should the pill have absorbed by then?
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Re: Vomiting and Pill Absorption Time

Unread post by Redskies »

Your pill should be absorbed by 3 hours after taking it, but given you're talking about 3 hours here, it does no harm to make sure. What does your pill information leaflet say about the amount of time between taking a pill and vomiting? That's probably your best source of information. If it's not clear or you're not sure about what it says, a pharmacist would be a good person to check with.
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
celica2003
not a newbie
Primary language: American English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: straight

Re: Vomiting and Pill Absorption Time

Unread post by celica2003 »

My leaflet just says "if you have vomiting or diarrhea for any reason your pill might not work as well" and to use a backup until checking with a doctor or pharmacist. It doesn't specify a time limit. we always use condoms as backup so using a second method is not a problem, but because we like the dual protection I just like being as educated as possible about my pill. Also thank you for the information and I will definitely ask a pharmacist.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic