Cause for concern? (Period question.)

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
SilentDragon
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I embrace my weirdness.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Bisexual, Queer, Questioning

Cause for concern? (Period question.)

Unread post by SilentDragon »

My period is doing something odd this month. Before I elaborate, I will state that this is not a pregnancy question, as I have not been in a sexual situation with someone with whom a pregnancy could occur for about six months and I've had all the expected (and normal) periods since.

The unusualness started when my period arrived 7-10 days early and with a much lighter flow and darker color than usual. The usual cramps did not show up. My period is still going on 17 days later, which is much longer than it usually is. The flow has varied daily in that time, but it has still never been more than what it normally is in the last several days of my period. My question: is this normal (and could it be caused by stress), or is this something I should probably see a doctor about?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Cause for concern? (Period question.)

Unread post by Heather »

Seventeen days of bleeding suggests this may not actually be a menstrual period. It might be, and yes, that would indeed be odd, but since that is odd, I would go ahead and check in with a healthcare provider to play it safe.

Stress itself is not going to cause vaginal or uterine bleeding, btw.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic