Nuvaring + spermicide (continued)

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
lotsofsnow
Primary language: French
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Demi-pansexual

Nuvaring + spermicide (continued)

Unread post by lotsofsnow »

Hello, I'm continuing the discussion we started on the old board.

Unfortunately, female condoms are out of question for my boyfriend and I because they are not long enough. The only brand available in Canada (and trust me, I've looked everywhere) is FC2, and their condoms are only 6.47" deep, while my partner is 8" long. This wouldn't be a problem if he couldn't get all the way inside of me, but he does (tested with male condoms)... So there are very high chances of the condom ending up lost inside of me during intercourse (it happens from what I've read), even if he does his best not to get all the way inside. If he can get all the way inside of me, I imagine you can understand that I cannot reach the cervix, even when not aroused, with my fingers, so something like the diaphragm will probably be really hard to use for me (if I take out the ring during intercourse, which is already not recommended) and have a really high chance of failing. As you know, I can't use EC as a backup method regularly. I already have hormonal birth control messing up with my system, no need to add such strong meds in the cocktail. And there we are, with hormonal birth control and only spermicide left as a backup plan.

I am aware that spermicide isn't everyone's cup of tea and can irritate both the vagina and the penis during intercourse, but we're just that desperate, really. :( The effectiveness rate is enough for me, even though I know it's hard to have perfect use with it I'd rather have that than just the ring. I'd rather give it a try and see than just putting an x on vaginal intercourse forever without even trying.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Nuvaring + spermicide (continued)

Unread post by Heather »

Have you tried them -- inside condoms -- to see if any of these ideas are actually true in practice?

Also, the FC getting lost inside -- or even sliding inside -- the vagina is highly unlikely, given the size of the external ring.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic