Putting a tampon in for the first time

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
LesbianGoblin
Awesomeness Quotient: My silly personality
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/they
Sexual identity: Lesbian

Putting a tampon in for the first time

Unread post by LesbianGoblin »

Hello! I am currently 17 years old. My hymen has not been stretched or broken before, I am a virgin. I have attempted to put my finger in a few times but didn't get too far. I tried putting in a tampon for the first time and it felt hella weird when trying to insert it. I didn't keep it in, as soon as it started to feel uncomfortable trying to go through the hymen I pulled it out. I'm not sure if I am inserting it in wrong or if I just need to get used it. Note, I do have a sensory processing disorder so that could make inserting things feel more sensitive.
Sofi
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I make my own nail art!
Primary language: Spanish or English
Pronouns: she/they
Sexual identity: Queer

Re: Putting a tampon in for the first time

Unread post by Sofi »

Hi there, welcome to the boards.

I want to start by sharing a resource we have on the 'hymen' so what I say after makes sense: My Corona: The Hymen & the Myths That Surround It

So, now that we got the basics out there, I'll say that for some people it does hurt a bit to use a tampon for the first time. Although you described it as uncomfortable, which is definitely normal (there's a level of discomfort many people experience the first time, but actual PAIN is more rare). Your sensory processing disorder could be making the discomfort worse, but it's still not an uncommon feeling, so rest assured it's very likely that nothing is wrong.

There are some tips and tricks to making inserting tampons easier, so I'll share those and you can try them then go from there. First, it helps some people be in certain positions when inserting it - I can't guarantee either of these will be better for you, but some people prefer to be sort of squatting/standing up (you can do this over the toilet but kind of stand up a little), and others have a better experience if they are laying down on their back, although that one can be harder to do in a small bathroom. More importantly, though, you want to go in at the right angle: point the tip towards your back, rather than "straight up". This will help because you're following the angle of your vaginal canal. Lastly, you can try to use lube (you can buy them online if buying it at a store isn't an option). And, I know this sounds easier said than done, but try to relax your pelvic muscles as much as you can.
LesbianGoblin
Awesomeness Quotient: My silly personality
Pronouns: She/they
Sexual identity: Lesbian

Unread post by LesbianGoblin »

I discussed this with my mother, I tried inserted while not on my period. She said it could be the problem. Honestly I just wanted to try to put something in there to see how it feels and how much my body can take. If its that uncomfortable for a tampon I'm worried about others things they may be inserted later life.
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Pronouns: They

Unread post by Jacob »

Hey LesbianGoblin!

Just want to say good job on trying something out just to see if it works for you. I think that's a good habit to get into.

With the idea of how much your body "can take", I think maybe we don't have to be pushing any part of ourselves right to that edge of what we can take?

This is even more true when it comes to pleasure and partnered sex where we want to remain in the "feels good" zone as much as possible. Is that what you're thinking of when you mention situations "later in life"!

It's worth knowing that in addition to what's going on in the inside, the vagina is surrounded by a system of muscles and erectile tissue, and then by all the other muscles of the pelvis, all of which can relax and contract to varying degrees depending on the situation and how you're feeling.

So I wouldn't assume that something that doesn't work with a tampon now, would necessarily not work with something else in a different situation. But it would very much depend!
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic