Supports For Trans Youth (And a Few Words for Everybody Else)
As you probably already know, there is a wave of horrible legislation that's been moving through the United States with the aim of banning trans youth and trans folks of all ages from accessing everything from sports to life saving, gender affirming care.
To all the trans and nonbinary young people out there: you deserve so much better than this. But we live in a world where certain people with bias, including people in positions of power, have decided to target you as a result of their bias. Please know that we at Scarleteen will always affirm your identity and stand up for you and your right to live wholly and without fear, but we also understand that right now, things can feel pretty dang awful and unchangeable. You deserve all the support you can get.
Here are a few resources to start with if you need support right now:
- Our direct services here at Scarleteen (you can also always ask us for help finding in-person trans services)
- Trans Lifeline
- TBuddy (peer support for transmasc folks)
- Gender Spectrum
- LGBT Youth Talkline
- Trans Youth Equality Foundation Zoom support groups.
- This Isn't Going to Be Your Forever: Tips for Queer Youth Stuck at Home with Trans- and Homophobic Parents
And hey, adults? Especially cis adults? Now is the time to step up and do whatever you can to push back against all this transphobia. Trans and otherwise gender-diverse folks, kids and adults alike, are doing amazing work to advocate and care for each other, but it can be exhausting to feel like you're fighting alone against people who want to debate your right to exist.
There are lots of ways to help. I've rounded up a few that can help get you started.
- If you live in any of these states, you can get in touch with your representatives and ask them to vote no on anti-trans legislation.
- If you have the financial means, you can donate to the Trans Justice Fund, which is directing resources to trans folks in states where anti-trans legislation is taking hold.
- Julia Serano breaks down some common anti-trans talking points and how to respond to them on her site.
- You can debunk the myths used in current anti-trans legislation in your communities and social circles.
- Scarleteen Confidential: Parenting Gender Non-Conforming Youth
- You can better educate yourself about trans issues and experiences with kits like this one: Transgender Rights Toolkit or through reading lists like this one or this one.