Should I apologize?

Questions and discussions about relationships: girlfriends, boyfriends, lovers, partners, friends, family or other intimate relationships in your lives.
thinkmcflythink
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She, Her, etc.
Sexual identity: Cis gender, heterosexual female

Should I apologize?

Unread post by thinkmcflythink »

Hey Scarleteen!
Recently, I started my first semester of junior year of college (yay!) and I'm really excited about it. In one of my politics classes, I noticed that the old roommate of one of my old friends is in the class and keeps staring at me. Like she's trying to figure out who I am or something of the sort. This old friend of mine had a huge blow up about a year ago, over differing ideals. I got pretty heated in the argument and said some things I shouldn't have. We both did really. I haven't thought about her a lot lately, until I started seeing her friend in class, and it made me wonder if I should track her down and apologize.

Also, there's a good chance I would run into her anyway, I'm going to moving into the building she lives in next semester. Any suggestions are appreciated. Love you guys!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Should I apologize?

Unread post by Heather »

I think this is one of those things that's really about what you want to do, but for sure, if you're going to be living in the same building, and it's not one of those 600-unit-jobbies, it seems likely that you'll see each other soon enough.

If and when that happens, you'll both have the option of:
• Just patently ignoring each other (probably super awkward and socially uncomfortable, so, IMO, this is not a great option)
• Letting the past go and just interacting pretty anew, probably just as acquiantances or
• Apologizing and just taking it from there, whather that is just a thing you do and just stay neighbors that aren't friends, or whether you both decide to try and rebuild a friendship
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gladimeir15

Re: Should I apologize?

Unread post by Gladimeir15 »

If you are on the same building, 3 weeks is too long for the both of you can establish friendship. It is just a matter of who will make the first move to have a conversation. The difficult part here is on how to make the first move. ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic