Feeling ashamed from a hickey

When you want support through something scary or rough, and help pulling yourself together and getting through, this is the place.
Forum rules
We ask that users looking for general, ongoing emotional support post in this area of the boards, and that you use this space to both ask for, give and receive that support primarily from each other, rather than from our staff and volunteers. As a staff, we simply are often too overextended with all we need to do in running the organization and its services to do that for extended periods of time, and one of our main aims of our community at the boards has always been to facilitate peers to better be there for each other.

Users often report that they have no in-person peers they can talk to or seek support from: we want this to be a space for online peer support and somewhere everyone can get some practice asking for, getting and giving support so that doing it with people in your lives feels more doable.

Please remember that neither staff, volunteers nor your fellow users can provide or replace mental healthcare when that is something you need. Users struggling with issues like anxiety, depression, abuse or physical health issues are strongly encouraged to seek out qualified, in-person help with those issues in addition to peer or staff support.
ash4evah

Feeling ashamed from a hickey

Unread post by ash4evah »

Hello, so I went on a date with a guy that I just met. I had a really great time, but when I got home it turned terrible. My mother was doing laundry so she asked for my shirt so she could throw it in the washer; I gave it to her but forgot I had a hickey on my left breast. I did not have sex with this guy, just made out with him and he gave me a hickey in a place no one would actually see. She flipped out, calling me easy and a slut. I just feel really insecure and upset; of all people that's the last thing you want to hear from your mother. Does anyone think my actions on a first date were slutty? :cry: (Btw I'm 18, how do I make her understand that it's my body and hickeys don't make you a slut?)
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Feeling ashamed from a hickey

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi ash4evah,

I'm sorry that your mom reacted the way she did. You're right that those are unpleasant things to hear from anyone, let alone a parent, and that she was out of line in saying them to you. You're also right that it's your body, and you get to do what you want with it when it comes to sex and intimacy. As you're already learning, "slut" is one of those words with a very flexible meaning, that people attach to a woman who does anything that they disapprove of, which is also an unpleasant phenomenon to be on the receiving end of.

When it comes to talking to your mom about this, I think the first step is to ask yourself: "what do I want from this conversation? And what do I really want to avoid?" That can give you a starting place for how to approach it and how to explain your feelings. Does that make sense?
Volleygirl22
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Can spike a volleyball, but am only 4'9"
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Les

Re: Feeling ashamed from a hickey

Unread post by Volleygirl22 »

It's a hickey, not like you got pregnant or anything. Personally, I wouldn't say it's slutty at all. (My current boyfriend and I slept together before we even started dating, so honestly a hickey is nothing). You're right that it's your body. Also, you're an adult. Obviously, to me, it sounds like your mom responded the wrong way, but at the same time it might just be because she's realizing that you're growing up and maybe she's not sure how to handle it. Does that give her an excuse to respond the way she did, not really. But just give her some time to cool down and maybe talk to her about it if you're comfortable enough about it? If not, that's perfectly fine too. Parents don't like accepting the fact that we're all growing up. I understand you're feeling upset, but try not to let insecurity get in the way. (I'm the queen of letting insecurity stop me from things. It's annoying). If you decide to talk to her about it, I'd take Sam's advice about what you want from the conversation and what you'd rather avoid. Good luck :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic