combination pill and periods

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
etudexc
not a newbie

combination pill and periods

Unread post by etudexc »

Hi,
I started taking combination pills 4 months ago. However, I stopped taking the pill after I finished last month's pack (I did have bleeding in the placebo week), but I experienced a really strange 2 weeks of spotting right after I finished the pack. I started taking my next pack again after those two weeks, and the bleeding stopped.

Nov 10 - stopped pills after completing a pack, spotting for 2 weeks followed
Nov 24 - started pills again, spotting stopped

It's now my first day in the placebo week and I don't have my 'period' yet, as I usually do. Does anyone know if these events will negatively impact my health? If I don't bleed during my placebo week this time, should I be concerned?
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Re: combination pill and periods

Unread post by Redskies »

Are you up-to-date with your sexual healthcare and STI testing, to rule out any infection?

Any time you use the pill in an irregular way - especially things like stop-starting with it, not taking it for 2 weeks - some disruption to your menstrual cycle is very likely. That's most probably what you're experiencing with this. If infection is ruled out, this temporary menstrual wonkiness is no cause for concern and won't impact your health. Skipping a placebo bleed, particularly after irregular pill-taking, can happen occasionally, and isn't a cause for concern.

It's better for your health not to repeatedly be irregular with your pill. Is there a particular reason you stopped and re-started it?
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic