Oral sex

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Mkicksz
Awesomeness Quotient: I love to backpack!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: Her/she
Sexual identity: Straight

Oral sex

Unread post by Mkicksz »

Hello Scarleteen!
I just want to clarify some things about stds, as i am in my first ever relationship and also just for my own knowledge! I feel like this may be an obvious answer, but just to be sure... You can not acquire an std/i if your partner has never had any type of sexual contact ever correct? I have also never had sexual contact with anyone previously before our relationship. That is being that there is total honesty about that. I have read the stds possible that can come from different kinds of sex.- So Are there anything/risks that come from oral or manual sex other than things like yeast infection etc if neither of you have ever had sexual contact with another person?

My next question is about have you ever heard anything about strep throat and oral sex being correlated? I did oral sex once, and shortly after had painless swollen lymph node on one side. It lasted for about one month painlessly until my throat actually hurt and i went to the doctor. I tested positive for strep throat. Coincidence or not i wonder?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Oral sex

Unread post by Heather »

Sparing STIs acquired from something other than sexual contact -- the oral herpes virus, for instance, is very common and is most often acquired in childhood non-sexually -- you have that right. But ultimately, we strongly advise starting sexual lives with safer sex practices, including barrier use, and adding testing once people have become sexual with others. STIs are most prevalent in younger people, and more young people than not tend to be sure there are no risks: you can do the math to see that more times than not, there clearly have been. Better safe than sorry, we say, and it's not like using condoms isn't easy as pie with a little bit of practice. :)

Strep is not something acquired from oral sex. However, if you had any kissing involved that day or any other time around then, that's a very common way for it to be transmitted.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic