Depo shot questions please help

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
hippiegirl

Depo shot questions please help

Unread post by hippiegirl »

Today's marks the 7th day I've gotten my very first depo shot.
I have questions
Can a guy ejaculate inside me without the fear of pregnancy?
If I don't have a period how will I know I'm not pregnant?
How exactly does it work?
I've had more and thicker discharge, is that normal?
Why do I bleed when I masturbate? Too hard maybe??
Thanks!
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Re: Depo shot questions please help

Unread post by Eddie C »

Hello there, hippiegirl. Welcome to Scarleteen. :)

The Depo shot fully protects you after the 7th day, but always keep in mind that though you are protected against pregnancy, condoms are the only way to protect yourself from STD's.

Having the Depo shot does NOT guarantee that you won't have you period. Some people experience lighter or even the lack of periods but for other people periods can be heavier. If you let me share a persona experience, for example, I had to change to another method because it would make me bleed non-stop for 6 months. Not saying this to scare you, of course, just to give you perspective of how bodies are not the same and they react different even when they are exposed to the same things/medicines.

When you are on the Depo shot, once you are ready for the next shot they will make a pregnancy test before giving you the shot. So, that's one way you can know pregnancy didn't happen. Honestly, the other way to know that you are not pregnant is... well, because you just don't pregnant. It can sound like a joke but actually the only way to know that a birth control method is working is because you are not getting pregnant. :P

Bleeding can be caused for lack of lubrication or maybe -- if you are using your fingers -- you are not cutting your nails. The skin of the vulva and the vagina is very delicate and it can get hurt very easy. Using lube and sometimes latex gloves can help a lot.

Also, are you up to date with your STI's screening? Sometimes bleeding can indicate some kind of infection so is always good to test if you are sexually active.

For more information about the Depo shot, I'm going to leave you the next link: http://www.scarleteen.com/birth_control ... po_provera

If after reading that you need more information or clarification don't hesitate to ask. :)
hippiegirl

Unread post by hippiegirl »

What are the chances of getting pregnant if ejaculation occurs inside ?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Hippiegirl

You can find the answer to that in the piece about the shot that Edith linked you to above (it will be towards the top of the page in the article she linked to )
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic