Chlamydia, gonorrhea and STIs?

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
wildprincess
not a newbie

Chlamydia, gonorrhea and STIs?

Unread post by wildprincess »

In this past year I've recently started being sexually active. No I have not have sex but I have both given and received oral sex. I am aware of the risks as I have checked the "Can I get pregnant, or pass an STI from that?" page and have read thoroughly through. What I am confused about is if the STIs listed (such as chlamydia and gonorrhea) are present in every day objects? All my partners have been virgins and I was wondering if they could be infected just as I am without knowing it. I'm not sure if this question makes any sense but I was just wondering if the bacteria lives on everyday objects and by touching it then touching the vagina (without washing his hands), I could get infected then pass on the bacteria when I give oral sex the next time?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Chlamydia, gonorrhea and STIs?

Unread post by Heather »

On that page, infections listed are each linked to an informational page about the infection that answers the questions you're asking. How about you go back and click through those links? :)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
wildprincess
not a newbie

Unread post by wildprincess »

I have read but not fully understood :/ from what I understand, the only way to get an STI is to engage in sexual activities with an infected partner. And it is not possible to get it through other ways. Is that correct?

What I'm wondering is if my boyfriend fingered me without washing his hands, could I be at risk? Furthermore, could a virgin (someone who has absolutely no sexual history) contract an STI through other means? assuming if he/she is not born with one.

Thanks so much :)
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

The best way to get that information is to look at the STI files Heather told you about, linked to each infection on the page you were looking at (like this one: The STI Files: Chlamydia ) for the infections you're curious about. That way, you'll get a more detailed description of how different STIs are contracted: each of those specifically lists how each kind of infection is transmitted.

You're correct that, for the most part, STIs are transmitted through sexual activity of some kind, but some include other means of transmission (like how HIV can be passed via sharing needles).

As for whether or not people with no sexual experience can have an STI, check this out: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advic ... ave_an_std
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic