Plan B

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Tanon2222

Plan B

Unread post by Tanon2222 »

I have very irregular periods and my regular periods are usually 34 days apart. However, I do chart them, and I had sex 2 days after my predicted ovulation. The condom broke, but my boyfriend always pulls out even though the condom is there. I still took plan B for safe measure about 2 hours after the incident. Will plan b work for me if I am, in fact, using after ovulation? Is there even a good possibility of me being pregnant because he pulled out AND two days after ovulation is not a high time of fertility. Please help I am panicking.
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: Plan B

Unread post by Mo »

Hi Tanon, and welcome to Scarleteen.

First off, Plan B works not just to delay or inhibit ovulation, but to prevent fertilization, so if ovulation had just occurred Plan B can still be effective.
It sounds, though, like your cycle is pretty irregular - my understanding from what you've said is that sometimes you're noticing cycles of the same length but overall they vary, is that correct? If that's the case, it's going to be really tough to pinpoint when ovulation might be happening, and if you're using something like a basic menstrual tracker app that's making a prediction about ovulation, know that unless it's asking for data like cervical mucus texture and basal temperature, it really is just a guess at best anyway.

So, you're looking at a situation where your partner practiced withdrawal, and you took Plan B very soon afterwards. That equals a lot of protection against pregnancy, honestly enough that it doesn't make much of a difference whether this happened in a particularly fertile period or not. We can't say whether you are or will become pregnant, but the chance is low. What we do recommend is that people who take Plan B go ahead and take a pregnancy test once it's been 2-3 weeks since you took it, since a common side effect is some period irregularity for a few cycles and it can help put folks at ease. :)
Tanon2222

Unread post by Tanon2222 »

Thanks for the welcome and the quick reply!

But yes you were correct in your assumption about my periods. Thank you for the reassurance!
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

You're quite welcome, and I'm glad that helped.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic