Birth Control Pills

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Chibs
not a newbie

Birth Control Pills

Unread post by Chibs »

Hello

I started taking Ortho Tri Cycline Lo about two weeks ago.

I took my first pill TWO DAYS before my period started. I took one around the same time everyday for 16 days.

I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend for the first time two days ago (yeah it was kinda stupid but I thought I was protected since the packet says to wait one week)

So here is my issue .

I know you are suppose to start the pills on the first day of your period or the Sunday after. I didnt know. I thought I could start right away and be protected after one week. He did pull out and pee in between.

So how much of a risk am I at? I keep reading legit sources that say it's fine to start whenever as long as I take it for a week.

It was really stupid for me to do that . I was waiting until I was married to let him go in raw but it just happened and I felt okay since I thought I was being safe. We both tested twice.
PrincessLuLu
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: obsessed with big bang theory
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Re: Birth Control Pills

Unread post by PrincessLuLu »

I strongly recommend reading the official insert that came with your pills. If you don't have it look for it online. If you're really worried, use condoms until you can see doctor again to get more info. Also, im pretty sure its almost impossible for guys to pee during sex, so that may have been precum. I'd suggest getting a pregnancy test at the drugstore and taking extra precautions until a doctor can give you the best advice. Good luck
Chibs
not a newbie

Unread post by Chibs »

I no longer have that but all of the pages I check have mixed results that say I can start whenever
Chibs
not a newbie

Unread post by Chibs »

He peed after each time of sex. We will not be going unprotected again even with the pills
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Unread post by Eddie C »

Hello there, Chibs. Welcome to the boards.

Is really hard to say how much risk you have because I cannot know how your body is reacting with just two weeks of the pills. For some people one week would be enough (even though here at Scarleteen we recommend to back up for the whole first month), for others it may take a little longer. I hope you can understand that your question has not accurate answer right now.

So, moving forward: because this happened 2 days ago you can still take Plan B if that would make you feel better. Plan B works when is taken up to 120 hours after the risk.

What I would definitely recommend is to cut yourself some slack and try to not be so hard. Saying you are stupid (which you are not, here you are asking for help!) is not going to make things any better, if something only makes you feel worse and that is not what you need, okay? So yes, we make mistakes and that is okay.

I'm leaving you the next link so you can have more info about Emergency Contraception:

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/sexua ... traception

(...also, I think we were talking with you on text too but if you just can stick with boards for now it would be better. We are having some trouble getting your texts cut off and it makes it harder to have useful conversation. Thanks!)
Chibs
not a newbie

Unread post by Chibs »

Edith_* wrote:Hello there, Chibs. Welcome to the boards.

Is really hard to say how much risk you have because I cannot know how your body is reacting with just two weeks of the pills. For some people one week would be enough (even though here at Scarleteen we recommend to back up for the whole first month), for others it may take a little longer. I hope you can understand that your question has not accurate answer right now.

So, moving forward: because this happened 2 days ago you can still take Plan B if that would make you feel better. Plan B works when is taken up to 120 hours after the risk.

What I would definitely recommend is to cut yourself some slack and try to not be so hard. Saying you are stupid (which you are not, here you are asking for help!) is not going to make things any better, if something only makes you feel worse and that is not what you need, okay? So yes, we make mistakes and that is okay.

I'm leaving you the next link so you can have more info about Emergency Contraception:

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/sexua ... traception

(...also, I think we were talking with you on text too but if you just can stick with boards for now it would be better. We are having some trouble getting your texts cut off and it makes it harder to have useful conversation. Thanks!)
Thank you for your response, Edith .

I checked the website and they do only offer two types of start and to ask a doctor for a different start date. I believe my doctor told me to start right away. I could be confusing it with two pills She gave me one for pain relief but I questioned her and she said to take the pain killers when my period starts. I hope im not confusing it with the pills. I just thought I was protected. I do not want to take plan B again since I already have the hormones from the pills in my body . It was a very bad experience where I was bleeding non stop and crying .

I was trying to be smart about it but I guess I blew it big time. I'm just praying that I am not pregnant.
He did pull out each time so I do feel a little better but the pills have had to do something. They couldnt just be going through my system without effect.

It was a one time thing and we will be using condoms from here on out and after I get my IUD we will still be using condoms (we actually used condoms once during that risky event but then went raw again)
Chibs
not a newbie

Unread post by Chibs »

bump
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

I don't see any more questions left hanging here, so clue me in about why you're bumping and what you'd like from us? :)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Chibs
not a newbie

Unread post by Chibs »

Hi

I believe my period came down today.

I just check and I wiped and there was blood. I kept wiping and there was blood but less. I didnt feel any cramps or anything. I'm assuming this is my period while on the pill? So does this mean i'm in the clear and can go get an IUD and be safe and smart from now on?

Thank you.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Chibs,

If this is coming about when you'd expect your period, you can assume it's the withdrawl bleed happening. As for the IUD, that's something to talk with your doctor about (especially since you'll be switching from one method to another)
Chibs
not a newbie

Unread post by Chibs »

My question is that because this is withdrawal bleedings, does this mean I am not pregnant and can relax and start planning safer options?
Chibs
not a newbie

Unread post by Chibs »

like a period, am I in the clear?
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Only you can know if w period will get you to relax or not. We can't know what you need to feel resolved about this and to close the door.

So, if it does that for you, great. If it doesn't, then your next step would be either to take a pregnancy test, and see if that does the rick for you, and if not, then the next step after that would be to talk to a general or mental healthcare provider to get help letting go of anxiety like this.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Chibs
not a newbie

Unread post by Chibs »

I am bleeding at the moment.
I'm assuming it's withdrawal.

My question is,

Am I pregnant? I dont know if the bleeding works like a period and clears me.

Can I still be pregnancy while on the withdrawal period.
Chibs
not a newbie

Unread post by Chibs »

Thats my question.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

We can't be a pregnancy test. We just can't. When people have menstrual flow or withdrawal bleeds, then yes, that is a clear signal a pregnancy did not happen in the previous cycle. Whether or not that's enough for you to feel confident in, we can' say.

Here is a piece that walks people having a pregnancy scare through the steps they can take, with things that ARE doable: The Pregnancy Panic Companion.

Why don't you go through that, and check out your next steps, please. :) If you need any help taking those next steps, we're glad to do what we (realistically) can.
Chibs
not a newbie

Unread post by Chibs »

Well this is my first month on the pill so I didnt know that it's the same as a period.

So i'm not pregnant.

Thank you.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic