Birth Control Experiences: The IUD

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Johanna
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Birth Control Experiences: The IUD

Unread post by Johanna »

For those looking into the different methods of birth control to find what's right for them, here's one of several threads where users can report their experiences with a given method so that other users can get a more personal idea of what using a given method is like when they're looking into what might work best for them.

If you have used or do use the IUD (copper or Mirena), please report on it in the following format:

Pros: List what you have experienced as the pros or benefits -- the good parts -- of using this method.

Cons: List what you've experienced as the downsides or cons of using this method.

Ease of use: Talk about how easy -- or not -- it's been for you and/or your partner to use, access and afford this method, how it's worked out in your relationships, etc.

Effectiveness: Talk about how well this method has protected you from pregnancy, and if it ever has failed, note that, including any explanation of how or why, if you know or suspect how or why.

Feel free to also add any extra notes, hints or tips!

(Originally posted here by Heather.)
"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." - Ayn Rand
Snorkmaiden
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I like to help.
Primary language: Dutch
Sexual identity: straight butch

Re: Birth Control Experiences: The IUD

Unread post by Snorkmaiden »

Well, I've used the Mirena for ten years or so, and here's my experience.

Pros:
It's a hands-off method for a longer duration.
It contains very low-dosed hormones.
I had very little negative side effects.
My period stopped altogether for several years.

Cons:
It gave me some extra acne on my back.
Sometimes my partner felt the strings during intercourse.
It's a lot of money to spend at once.

Ease of use:
Insertion was painful for me, but luckily it was brief. Later I learned that my doctor could have given me an injection in the cervix and that would have helped a whole lot. If I were to get a new Mirena now, I would ask for that.
Apart from that, it was very very easy. I did not have to think about it or do anything about it for five long years at a time.
Rarely the strings hurt my partner's penis during vaginal intercourse, but that happened once or twice only.
I did need to pay for it myself. My partner helped with that, as he felt it was a shared responsibility.

Effectiveness:
I have used this for ten years as a sole method (not adding any other methods such as condoms or withdrawal) and I have never gotten pregnant or had a pregnancy scare. :D

Other:
There is a good chance that the Mirena will stop or lighten your periods. If that's something you want, it could be an interesting method.
It's good to know that local anesthesia will stop any pain that may occur during insertion or removal. Doctors sometimes think this isn't needed because it's so quick. But it can really hurt.
You can also take normal, over-the-counter painkillers before your appointment. I'd discuss the options with your doctor.

Overall, my experience was definitely a positive one. If the Mirena clicks with your body, it's a worry-free method of contraception.
Infinitea
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I make a mean origami dragon
Primary language: English
Sexual identity: straight

Re: Birth Control Experiences: The IUD

Unread post by Infinitea »

I've had a Mirena IUD for a year now and I've got to say I've been loving it.

Pros:
  • Absolutely no hassle whatsoever: For someone forgetful like myself, having a guaranteed form a birth control that doesn't require any input for years at a time has been amazing.
  • Minimal cost over the long term: I had the added benefit of having 80% of my IUD cost covered by my university's health coverage, which made getting the Mirena IUD more than worth it, but even without extended health coverage the cost of the IUD would still have substantially beat out the cost of birth control pills over the course of five years.
  • Light periods and mild cramps: As someone who has a history of very painful periods, I was worried that going off birth control pills would bring back my terrible cramps. This was, in fact, the main reason I chose the Mirena over the copper IUD. I'm happy to report, however, that as per the normal side effects of the Mirena, I have had lighter periods and little to no cramping.
  • Did a mention that you literally don't have to do anything and this thing just sits in your uterus preventing pregnancy? All by itself? While you do nothing?!
Cons: List what you've experienced as the downsides or cons of using this method.
  • Painful Insertion: I had a very painful insertion. In fact, the first time my cervix was so resistant that they had to have me come back for a second appointment to try again. That said the minute of intense pain I experienced was more than worth the five years of no hassle that follows it.
  • Not-as-regular periods: This is in comparison to my experience on the pill, rather than my experience completely off hormonal contraceptives (when my period was incredibly erratic), but my period isn't as regular as it used to be. While it's not that much of hassle, it was nice to be able to know almost to the day when to expect my period.
Ease of use: Talk about how easy -- or not -- it's been for you and/or your partner to use, access and afford this method, how it's worked out in your relationships, etc.
  • After insertion you're good to go. It is literally as easy to use as doing nothing.
  • As far as use in my relationship goes it's been great. I don't feel like I'm constantly wondering if I took my pill before we have sex and my partner doesn't feel like he has to remind me. It's certainly removed that stress from my sex life, which I appreciate.
  • Cost wasn't a barrier for me luckily, particularly because I had coverage through my university, and getting the Mirena was easy. I did have wait a couple of days to get the IUD from my pharmacy ahead of time as they don't always have IUDs in stock (so note to anyone interested, if you have to pick up your IUD before your insertion don't try to get your prescription filled the day of) but finding a place that carried them and a clinic to do the insertion was no problem at all.
Effectiveness: Talk about how well this method has protected you from pregnancy, and if it ever has failed, note that, including any explanation of how or why, if you know or suspect how or why.
  • This thing has been my main form of birth control for the past year and no pregnancies to speak of, so I'd say it's doing pretty well.
Feel free to also add any extra notes, hints or tips!
  • Plan a relaxing night for after your insertion, or schedule at a time where you'll be able to take some down time afterwards. While the aftermath wasn't terrible I was crampy and had some spotting, and to be honest making sure I had nothing to do that night made the whole thing much less stressful.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic