Im really worried...

When you want support through something scary or rough, and help pulling yourself together and getting through, this is the place.
Forum rules
We ask that users looking for general, ongoing emotional support post in this area of the boards, and that you use this space to both ask for, give and receive that support primarily from each other, rather than from our staff and volunteers. As a staff, we simply are often too overextended with all we need to do in running the organization and its services to do that for extended periods of time, and one of our main aims of our community at the boards has always been to facilitate peers to better be there for each other.

Users often report that they have no in-person peers they can talk to or seek support from: we want this to be a space for online peer support and somewhere everyone can get some practice asking for, getting and giving support so that doing it with people in your lives feels more doable.

Please remember that neither staff, volunteers nor your fellow users can provide or replace mental healthcare when that is something you need. Users struggling with issues like anxiety, depression, abuse or physical health issues are strongly encouraged to seek out qualified, in-person help with those issues in addition to peer or staff support.
Dandelion
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Creativity
Primary language: English
Pronouns: her/she
Sexual identity: Bisexual female

Im really worried...

Unread post by Dandelion »

My best friend she has been in a tough spot for probably about two weeks now. I had known but when I tried asking about it she would change subject. She seemed okay yesterday. I didnt have my phone charged so it died and when I finally got home today my other friend told me he was worried because she deleted her tumblr. Thats not right at all. Her blog is a recovery one. But then I remembered this very long sad post she put up this morning. I messaged her prior to it,venting. I had felt bad and had hurt myself. Im okay, honestly. I dont care about me. Im just worried about her, now. I shouldnt have been venting to her the way I have this past week. I know I trigger her. She went away one for 4 months once. Im so selfish. I shouldve seen the signs and now she isnt responding to anything. Not my texts,emails,etc. Im so worried sick. Ive been crying since I found out. She said bye to me last time. She didnt this time. I hope she's okay.

Then another friend of mine Im afraid shes going down a dark path similar to my own. I am trying to advise her. I have warned all my female friends many times before of bad guys in particular the older ones that show interest. I dont think she's listening to me. And I dont think the guy is 17 that she speaks about. Its all too dubious.

Also, my brother is really angry with me, again. I dont mean to. Uggh, Im sorry.

Last night, I had a nightmare. I havent been eating but I decided to make some tea to calm my nerves. When I went downstairs my dad was stiil up drinking. It was 2 a.m. Like what the hell?! No just no. I made my tea and just went upstairs to my room.

Today my sister was rushed to the hospital. They think she may have an enlarged heart. I pray oh how I pray she doesnt. I want her to be okay.

Im soooo worried about everyone. I dont know how to be strong with everything and still take care of myself.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Im really worried...

Unread post by Heather »

We work every day with a lot of you that we often feel very concerned about, so by all means, we can certainly empathize -- even just with work! -- about how challenging it can be when you're worried about a lot of people or things at once. I'm sorry that you have so much on your plate right now!

The good news is that being strong emotionally usually happens BECAUSE we take care of ourselves. In other words, if we don't, we really can't be strong, so no one needs to feel like if and when they do their own self-care, they're not being there for others. It's doing that that really gives you the things you need to be able to be there for others, as well as the ability to do what we all need to to take care of ourselves.

I'd also remind yourself that you're not a crisis worker. So, for example, not remembering to charge your phone isn't like you didn't when you were assigned to volunteer for the Red Cross that day. This happens, and it's not about you being selfish, it's just about you being human and, like the rest of us, spacing out things like keeping a personal cell phone charged. You're not the only person for people in your life, and if you were, that'd be a problem -- and one THEY need to remedy, not you -- not something for you to sign on to. Make sense?

It sounds like as of right now, you are super-stressed and very burnt out, so your own self-care should be put at the very top of your list. Want some help, perhaps, making a schedule for the week for that self-care so that you can at least get a little back on track with yourself, both for your own well-being, but so you even have the emotional reserves to support the others in your life in the ways you want to?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic