hypersexuality on HRT?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Bowler
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm inquisitive.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: He/him
Sexual identity: All and nothing

hypersexuality on HRT?

Unread post by Bowler »

I've struggled with hypersexuality a lot, over the years. It has very little to do with actual libido (it relates more to compulsions and intrusive thoughts) although libido can make it worse. I dislike the feelings that come with it, and really don't want to experience it more than I have to. I just worry that those symptoms will increase exponentially with the additional libido HRT offers. Is this a documented occurrence? WILL it get worse? Should I wait for HRT?
Thanks.
Latha
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Queer

Re: hypersexuality on HRT?

Unread post by Latha »

Hi Bowler,

I'm sorry you've been struggling with this! A higher libido is a somewhat common side effect of taking testosterone HRT. I can't say if this will happen for you, but it is possible. But as Mo suggested in this thread, the effect of HRT effect on your feelings may be short-lived: your body may adjust to your new hormone levels. Have you ever gotten support for the compulsions and intrusive thoughts that you mentioned? Having a plan for dealing with such symptoms could make this easier.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic