Multiple things about my relationship to my weight

Questions and discussions about your bodies and their parts.
Asking Queries
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I like rocks
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Trans, girlflux, lesbian/bisexual

Multiple things about my relationship to my weight

Unread post by Asking Queries »

*(Trigger warning/content warning: Talks about low weight, food, and medical problems)*

Hi,
First, I wanna say that I’m a skinny person, and so am welcome to any corrections or feedback on terminology, etc, that people have.

For basically my whole life I’ve been low weight, but within the last year (when my mental health got really bad) or so it changed from just being how my body was to something that concerned my doctors. At a certain point, my gastroenterologist wanted to hospitalize me, although I managed to avoid that.
I’m chronically nauseous for somewhat uncertain reasons, and this makes it hard to eat. Most of what I eat is a medical nutrition drink that my primary care doctor recommended. I actually quite like it, and it allows me to not have to worry about cooking or heating something up, meaning that I can cook when I want to for fun.
As part of this, my mom often says things like “let’s get some food into you”, which feel dehumanizing and like my body isn’t being treated as part of my being. I’m not sure how to bring it up to her.

I guess I’m just wondering what you all (folks? denizens?) think of this and whether you have any suggestions.
“… we need to recognize that adolescents, like all human beings, need strong social bonds. To provide youth with such bonds—at an interpersonal and societal level—is the work of us all.” - Amy T. Schalet, Not Under My Roof.
CaitlinEve
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Multiple things about my relationship to my weight

Unread post by CaitlinEve »

Hi Asking Queries!

Nutrition is nutrition, and it's fantastic that you've found a way to eat that works for you and your body! It may be that your mom doesn't really think about the implications of what she is saying, as that phrase is a common expression; however, this doesn't mean your feelings about it aren't valid! Just because someone doesn't think what they are saying is hurtful or harmful doesn't mean it isn't.

I would suggest approaching your mom from this perspective; try not to 'come out of the gate swinging', as it were, as that may put your mom on the defensive. I would recommend telling her what you just told us; that it feels dehumanizing and like your body isn't being treated as part of your being, even if it is on accident. Open communication is important and being honest with her will likely lead to an improved relationship between you two and your body. Good luck, and feel free to report back or ask us any questions you may have!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic