Pill making me chubby??

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Berry124
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Personality
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her, they/them
Sexual identity: 'straight', heterosexual

Pill making me chubby??

Unread post by Berry124 »

Hi, this is sort of a odd question but it's really annoying me. I started taking the combined pill last month back in December and I am taking Gederel, I was fine for the first month with just breast tenderness once into the fourth or more pill which I'm getting again now, I had a bleed for six days of red blood and one of brown so seven days total, so that's not my issue. However one thing I've noticed is that I have gained fat around my stomach as my appetite has increased and I have noticed a fair change my breasts seem to have gotten a tad bigger as I can't fit into my old bras and I'm not very big so this is weird for me but I did have breast tenderness last month and slightly before starting the pill. Will these side effects last? I don't particularly want to gain more fat but it's gathering round my stomach and nowhere else and I am fairly thin and used to be literally.flat stomached, now I have a section of fat there which makes me look pregnant it embarrassing. Does this last? I only eat more during the second week which is what would happen during my non-hormonally-influenced cycle when I would be ovulating or about to ovulate(been roughly tracking for over a yr I find my appetite goes up and skin gets better). I am on my second strip, will I gain more fat? My face doesn't look fat or my arms but my stomach is bugging me. So does this side effect go away? Thx
Last edited by Berry124 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Berry124
not a newbie

Re: Pill making me chubby??

I checked the leaflet btw and it didn't say any side effects would go or last, so I have checked.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Karyn »

When people do gain a bit of weight with the pill, it tends to be minimal (a few pounds), and often side effects lessen or go away after the first three months or so. So, if you can, give it a bit more time and see what happens - if you're still bothered by it in a couple of months then it's worth talking to your doctor to see if a different formulation of pill might be a better fit for you.

(Keep in mind too that it may not be due to the pill; weight gain and breast growth can happen pretty quickly during puberty, and given your age that's a possibility as well.)
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Berry124
not a newbie

Oh ok thankyou for your reply, that's answered my question :) Is it just because my body is adjusting to the hormones? I am in my second strip and apart from that one thing, I am finding it very good so far.

(I did wonder that actually yes, my hips have widened recently and never had that and this happened after the slight breast pains and growth started near my 17th birthday, totally forgot that puberty could be another factor because I'm 17, silly me)
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Karyn »

You're welcome. If it is due to the pill, then it could just be a temporary thing while your body adjusts to the hormones. It's one of those times you just have to wait and see though!
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Berry124
not a newbie

Ok got it :) it may also be because I stopped dancing which was hard exercise. If it gets worse I will mention it to my doctor who perscribed them and see what would be better.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic