Should I get an IUD?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
hedera
not a newbie
Pronouns: she/her

Should I get an IUD?

Unread post by hedera »

Hi! The post is a bit long, my apologies.

I was wondering you could advise me about getting an IUD. So, some background info first: I'm currently not in a relationship, but I (21F) do currently have a male sexual partner (FWB). We are pretty diligent about using condoms every time we have sex, but I'd feel more secure if we doubled up with another method, since I really do not want pregnancy.

I considered the pill, but I don't think that would be a reliable method for me, as I have ADHD-related issues with doing things such as remembering to take medication on time, even with reminders. I feel like I'd almost definitely miss a pill and not realise it, so I'd rather not go with that route.

The other option I'm considering is an IUD. Since I wouldn't exactly have to consciously remember to use it, I feel like it might be the better option (especially since it's very very effective), even if it's a bit more expensive. My concern is about the side effects. Namely, I'm interested in how bad the side effects really get? Since my period is already heavy and usually very painful, would an IUD make it worse? I also tend to get migraines, but very very rarely. In short, how badly would it wreck me physically? (I assume it does vary from person to person, my question is more for an average case; I understand that it could be better or worse for me anyway).
And a bit of a silly follow-up question: would I need any sort of recovery after the IUD application, or is it just business as usual as soon as it's put in?

Another concern I have, although a bit stupid: my 'partner' and I don't really have sex that often at all, since we rarely get the chance to. Also, I'm not heterosexual, so there's a very significant chance I'll end up with a female partner in the future, as my preferences heavily lean towards women. Would the hassle of getting an IUD even be worth it if I'm not 'using it often', so to speak? I know it's good to have a contraception method just in case, but since it's expensive and does come with some side effects, do you think it would really pay off? I hope my question wasn't confusing, English isn't my first language :)
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Should I get an IUD?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi hedera,

It's awesome that you're being so proactive in thinking about what birth control methods would be a good fit for you!

When it comes to side effects, it's possible that an IUD could influence how intense those period symptoms are, although it's hard to say if they'd make them more intense or if they'd help lessen how bad they were over time. However, how an IUD interacts with your period can depend on which kind you get; copper IUDs have a potential side effect of leading to longer or heavier periods, or more intense cramping. Hormonal IUDs on the other hand are actually sometimes used by people to help ease the intense periods they tend to have.

The hormonal IUD is also a method that's recommended for people with migraines, because they don't contain estrogen, the hormone in some birth control that can cause problems for folks with migraines.

Since there can be some discomfort after an IUD is put in, it can help to plan for at least the rest of the day you have the appointment to be a day where you take it easy.

I do think it's worth getting the IUD, even if you think most of your partners will be cis women. Like you mentioned, it's good to have a contraception when you need it, and an IUD really does have the benefit of being something you can just have for years that's there and protecting you should the need arise.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic