Withdrawal Bleeding or Period?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
snowflakes
Pronouns: her

Withdrawal Bleeding or Period?

Post by snowflakes »

Hi, I just wanna ask if withdrawal bleeding consist of clots? I take a pill for emergency contraception (yuzpe method if you are familiar with that) The bleeding that I experienced was similar with my period. It lasted for seven days, was heavy for 2 days and it has a lot of clots. The timing of the bleeding was also same with the predicted period based on the app. Answers are very appreciated!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Withdrawal Bleeding or Period?

Post by Sam W »

Hi Snowflakes,

Vaginal bleeding is a potential side effect of the yuzpe method, but if the bleeding you experienced looked and felt like a period and came around the time you were expecting a period, then it's likely it was your period. When you say you had clots, do you mean large chunks of tissue, or just times when what was coming out in your menstrual fluid was thick/stuck together rather than liquid?

Is the yuzpe method the only form of contraception you use? Or are you on the birth control pill and used that method because you couldn't access other forms of emergency contraception?
snowflakes

Post by snowflakes »

Just a normal blood clots during my past menstruation. I also take that as a good sign.

I only used yuzpe method since the other emergency pill such as morning after pill is not available in our country and it's takes some days to arrive if I will order it from online
Sam W

Post by Sam W »

Okay, in that case it's likely you were just experiencing your period. Do you use other birth control besides emergency contraception?
snowflakes

Post by snowflakes »

I don't use any birth control and I don't have plan taking it now since I'm not active now. Do you think it was my period? I've read somewhere that if you did yuzpe method before your ovulation, your period will tend to come early. I did the yuzpe method 2 days before my ovulation according to Flo and also I did it twice a month, one week interval
Sam W

Post by Sam W »

I can't say for certain if it was your period, especially since the yuzpe method can have vaginal bleeding as a side effect, but since it sounds like it matches periods you tend to have in other ways, that makes it more likely that it was your period.

Just so you know, you may want to look into your other options for pregnancy prevention when/if you plan on being sexually active in the future. The yuzpe method doesn't offer as much protection as some other methods, so if pregnancy is something you need to avoid looking into your other options would be a sound choice.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic