Period Question

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Edhelraen
not a newbie
Pronouns: she

Period Question

Unread post by Edhelraen »

I just have a question I'm wondering about. My periods have been pretty steady and almost always comes around the same time every month. I was expecting my period to come on the 13 this month but it came yesterday, which is fine since it sometimes comes a few days earlier.

However I did notice that I'm not bleeding as much, like the amount of blood I lose compared to my other periods is not as much.

I just want to know if it's normal for this to happen from time to time?

I did experience this a while ago too where the blood flow was lighter than the amount I would usually have, and then the next month it goes back to normal, though on those days my period would last for 2 or 3 days instead of the usual 4 days.

Is this a normal thing for periods to be different from time to time?

I'd like to add that I see more blood on the tissue when I use the bathroom as opposed to blood flowing onto the period panties that I wear, almost like it's not flowing out of my body.
Nicole
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: EN, ES, RU, UA
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Queer

Re: Period Question

Unread post by Nicole »

Hi Edhelraen,

Yes, it is normal for your period flow and duration to fluctuate from time to time. I've noticed from your posts that you often have concerns about your period, have these worries improved at all since your previous post? If not, we have some great resources about the ins and outs of periods that I can direct you to if you're interested. We can also chat about this if you want. Please let me know and take care!
Edhelraen
not a newbie

Yes my concerns have been improving so I haven’t been googling everything that’s wrong with me every time xD

I actually do recall having seen my obgyn before for this and she said it’s totally normal for periods to have different flows from time to time as well.

Thank you for your help though!
Nicole
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: EN, ES, RU, UA

Unread post by Nicole »

This is great to hear! Just making sure. We're always here for you when you need us.
Edhelraen
not a newbie

I just have a quick question since I couldn’t seem to find an answer in the period article.

My period is basically coming to an end and I’ve removed my pad but I still see blood (not a lot) on tissues after I use the bathroom. Is it just my body working out the extra blood that’s left? I thought my period ended because there wasn’t blood earlier when I wiped (there was brown blood on the tissue which is how I know my period is ending) but now it’s back to bright red blood, but not a big amount.

I don’t want to have to run back to my obgyn to see if something is wrong if it’s just my body working out the last of the blood and end up wasting money for the consultation.

However I do plan on seeing her this weekend if I keep seeing blood over the next few days as well.
Edhelraen
not a newbie

I have decided to see another obgyn that my coworker sees because it seems like what happened two years ago is happening again to me.

The exact same signs are showing again, so I’m pretty sure it has something to do with my body not producing enough progesterone this time around.
Michaela
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I have yet to find a craft that I do not love
Primary language: English

Unread post by Michaela »

Hi Edhelraen,

It sounds like seeing an OB/GYN about this issue will help you have some peace of mind since you have had some problems arise in the past around your cycle. However, it can be normal for some fluctuation in the blood flow throughout your period. From what I have read from your posts it seems like you are a person that is very aware of their body and in particular their reproductive cycle, which is a great thing to do. However, it can be easy to begin to worry in a way that can be very mentally exhausting. How would it sound to go into this appointment with your gynecologist and ask about what types of things you should be monitoring and what types of things might be a cause for concern versus some normal variation in a period?

Keep us updated about how things go!
Edhelraen
not a newbie

I saw my obgyn and she did an ultrasound for me. Turns out I have another ovarian cyst again, which is why my period was being weird this cycle.

I had one around two years ago too but that one went away after my period restarted.

She didn’t put me on meds yet since she wants to see if my body will reabsorb it by itself or if it’ll get smaller on its own.

I’m going back next month for a follow up to see what the situation is. If it didn’t get smaller then she’ll put me on birth control for a while.

I feel more at ease now that I know the cause was another ovarian cyst. I just hope it doesn’t rupture or anything 😅😅
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Edhelraen,

I'm glad the OB-GYN was able to figure out what's been going on! Hopefully the approach she's taking will work (although, if you're worried about it rupturing, it might be worth asking her if there are signs that that's happened or is more likely that you should be on the look out for).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic