What's Your Self-Care Weekend Ideal?

When you want support through something scary or rough, and help pulling yourself together and getting through, this is the place.
Forum rules
We ask that users looking for general, ongoing emotional support post in this area of the boards, and that you use this space to both ask for, give and receive that support primarily from each other, rather than from our staff and volunteers. As a staff, we simply are often too overextended with all we need to do in running the organization and its services to do that for extended periods of time, and one of our main aims of our community at the boards has always been to facilitate peers to better be there for each other.

Users often report that they have no in-person peers they can talk to or seek support from: we want this to be a space for online peer support and somewhere everyone can get some practice asking for, getting and giving support so that doing it with people in your lives feels more doable.

Please remember that neither staff, volunteers nor your fellow users can provide or replace mental healthcare when that is something you need. Users struggling with issues like anxiety, depression, abuse or physical health issues are strongly encouraged to seek out qualified, in-person help with those issues in addition to peer or staff support.
Onionpie
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Absolutely Everything
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: fluid

What's Your Self-Care Weekend Ideal?

Unread post by Onionpie »

This week, I'm taking three days for myself to do an at-home, self-care retreat.

You all know how it goes: I've felt tired, frazzled, stressed, and in need of some things to take the edge off that are about caring for myself. As plenty of you probably also know, when you go without that for too long, it can really jam you up.

Thus, my three days this week.

I sat down with pen and paper and wrote out what I intend to do during that time, with a focus on the things I know really help me chill out, re-center and just take very good care of myself.

For me, that looks like:
• A ton of yoga and meditation, two to three times a day, without any time limits on it; just the ability do do it for as long as I'd like each time
• Time spent outside
• Nothing but raw foods and fresh juices (I eat like this much of the time anymore, so that might sound like torture to some of you, but three days of nothing but raw is my idea of heaven at this point)
• Basic body-care/love stuff, like baths when I want them, lots of dry brushing, re-purpling the hair I make purple, soaking my feet, etc.
• Reading, and NOT work-books
• Trying to learn to nap (I have never accomplished this skill, not even as a kid)
• Time to play my instruments
• Time to snuggle with the dogs and my sweetie
• No-rush phone catchups with my closest friends and family
• Doing some artwork or writing just for myself
• Making the space I live in more beautiful, rather than racing to clean it
• Water: so much drinking of water
• Let's be real: sex is in there, too.

So, that's me. And I'm so, so looking forward to it, and know that doing something like this also helps me to get back in the groove with self-care more often around some of these things, even if I can't devote the same amount of time to them in an average week or day.

Whether or not you might have the ability soon to give yourself a self-care retreat of sorts, what would yours look like? What would be in it? Why not try making a list and keeping it somewhere so even if you don't have a couple days, when you've got a few minutes, and know you need some self-care, you can pull something off the list?
(Originally posted by Heather on the old boards here: http://www.scarleteen.com/cgi-bin/forum ... 01694.html )
Ruth
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Queer/lesbian

Re: What's Your Self-Care Weekend Ideal?

Unread post by Ruth »

I think this is a totally interesting idea.

My ideal self-care weekend, I think, looks like this:
  • A hot bath with a good book - an art book, with gorgeous pictures, no heavy reading
    Lots of time spent with my cats and kittens (yes, I have both)
    Eating lots of chocolate, which can be combined with...
    Baking
    Eating (some of) the products of my baking while watching Netflix
    Talking to people who I care about deeply
I'm really interested to see how other people answer this!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic