looking for information?

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Kela
not a newbie
Primary language: UK English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Cisgender and Straight

looking for information?

Unread post by Kela »

hey guys :)

just wondering if you can point me in the right direction...
im looking for some information on potential interactions between nexplanon and a thrush treatment called 'clotrimazole', also known as canesten? the reason im asking is because ive had a little bit of thrush, and when i went to the pharmacist i was told the oral antibiotic would interfere with my implants effectiveness, and therefore recommended a pessary of clotrimazole, as well as a clotrimazole cream.
i have been told by three pharmacists and a dr that clotrimazole will not affect my implant when used as a pessary and topical cream, but i have since found conflictig information online that it can?
can anyone point me in the direction of a reliable trustworthy site which will give me accurate information on possible interactions? or does anyone know for sure if it does or doesnt?

thanks in advance :)
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: looking for information?

Unread post by Heather »

How about you just play it safe and back up? That way you don't have to try and do a bunch of research, especially if you keep getting conflicting sources, and can just cover your bases, easy, with no worries.

As I recall, you're in a new relationship, so condom use is a must, anyway.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Kela
not a newbie

Unread post by Kela »

yes of course, ill always back up with condoms no matter how long ive been in a relationship :)
is there an online database that categorises possible interactions? ive found several reliable resources written by the government health sector which seem to give a pretty good list of things that do or dont interact, but is there a website or anything you know of? im also just thinking of in the future if i ever take any other meds.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

There really isn't something like that that is complete and public access, no. Ultimately, your prescribing physician, with either medication is whose words you want to give the most weight to.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Kela
not a newbie

Unread post by Kela »

aaah okay...thats a shame!! :(

ive been reading some reports which are available online which are from the royal college of gynaecologists and obstetricians which make interesting reading!! its good to read from a professional point of view i think as well as what is given to us as patients.

im guessing since vaginal infections can be a common side effect of the implant if there was a problem with clotrimazole it would be somewhere either on the info leaflet or the dr/pharmacists would at least have some idea.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Again, this is something your prescribing physician has the answer to. What they suggest is what you, as a patient, follow. And if ever you find you have a healthcare provider where you don't feel confident with their advice, then it's time to switch to one where you do.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic