Throat Infection from Oral or Coincidence?

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
seuniemonki
not a newbie
Pronouns: she/her

Throat Infection from Oral or Coincidence?

Unread post by seuniemonki »

I have always given my boyfriend unprotected oral with no consequences prior. We're both eachother's first for everything so it being an STD worries me indeed but I'm not sure it's likely (I might be wrong). Last month he was sick but the day of the act he presented no symptoms. We had sex and the next day he tells me he's presenting symptoms of a cold. That same day I get symptoms but it involves white spots on throat, fever, headache, muscle aches and painful swallowing. I get diagnosed with tonsillitis and take antibiotics and I get better. I'm afraid this may have happened from oral and I've refrained from it since out of fear it'll happen again. I'm not sure if it's a bad coincidence because I could've gotten sick from kissing him but I need to ease my mind. Any advice?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Throat Infection from Oral or Coincidence?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi seuniemonki,

Given the timing you described, I think it's pretty safe to assume that you got the sore throat from kissing him and picking up his cold (you may have also simply gotten it from being close to him while he was sick). That being said, if the thought of getting an infection from oral sex worries you, I would suggest using condoms for it if you're not already doing so (too, some STIs, such as herpes, can be passed non-sexual ways, so there's some STI risk even if you're each others' first partners).
seuniemonki
not a newbie

Unread post by seuniemonki »

Thank you so much for the advice!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

You're welcome!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic