Freedom

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
Ginger!!
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her

Freedom

Unread post by Ginger!! »

Hello! A few months ago I learned how to masturbate using my fingers.. I used to only use the bathtub or shower. I cant tell if this is good or bad. Since I have learned how to use my fingers it is much easier to masturbate whenever I want. This opens up a lot of freedom because I always have my hands. I fear that in the long run this will cause me to masturbate excessively..
I already masturbate at least once a day!
I don’t get desires or thoughts to masturbate in public (to be honest that scares me) but I’m just scared it will escalate. I want this to be a healthy thing.

Though, I recently got injured so I’ve had a lot of down time to explore, which makes me think I am masturbating a lot purely because I don’t have any responsibilities. I should enjoy this time to explore! AND I am a teenage girl with hormones, so this could’ve happened anyway. I don’t knowwww, obviously these feelings are really big and new to me :cry:. But I also don’t want my mind to get used to this routine of me being able to masturbate often because it won’t be like this next year!

Okay so in closing, I’m just worried that my current & often masturbation habits will affect my future.

Thank you.
Sofi
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I make my own nail art!
Primary language: Spanish or English
Pronouns: she/they
Sexual identity: Queer

Re: Freedom

Unread post by Sofi »

Hi Ginger!

I hear your concerns and they're valid. Truthfully, there isn't a right or wrong amount of times that it's okay or healthy to masturbate. Once a day is fine, twice a day is fine, twice a week or month or year is fine (you get the gist)

If it's not distracting you from doing important things, or causing you distress or pain, it's okay! And given you're having down time right now, it makes sense you're doing it more than you probably would otherwise. I don't think you should start worrying about it becoming too much because you'll just get in your head and it will become stressful rather than enjoyable.

By any chance, do you have some shame around masturbation? I want to understand where the concerns stem from, and nip that in the bud if we can. <3
Ginger!!
not a newbie

I have absolutely no shame in it at all! I just like to keep these things in mind & also reach out for a second prospective (because my concerns can be a little irrational)! And again, these intense feelings are fairly new, so I just want to be sure I keep a balanced lifestyle.
Thank you for the reassurance! I appreciate you guys!
Chocolate Moose
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Confidence
Pronouns: He/him
Sexual identity: Straight

Unread post by Chocolate Moose »

Just a book recommendation. Sex Plus: Learning, Loving, and Enjoying Your Body by Laci Green. It's a great resource that will help you see that you are normal and answer a lot of questions.
Ginger!!
not a newbie

Thank you so much Chocolate Moose! I always appreciate your posts & reply’s 💌
StephR
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm great at solving riddles!
Pronouns: she/they
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Unread post by StephR »

There's also S.E.X.: The All-You-Need-To-Know Sexuality Guide to Get You Through Your Teens and Twenties, written by our very own founder Heather Corinna! Another book specifically about masturbation is Betty Dodson's Sex for One: The Joy of Selfloving.
Chocolate Moose
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Confidence
Pronouns: He/him
Sexual identity: Straight

Unread post by Chocolate Moose »

Kate E. Reynolds has also written books on the subject for those on the autism spectrum about this subject. She also writes about relationships and periods. I thought I would mention her to help anyone else. Not only are her books good for those on the spectrum they're also suited for everyone.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic