Lost a pill

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Hakunamatata15
not a newbie

Lost a pill

Unread post by Hakunamatata15 »

Hi I lost a pill two days ago near the end of the pack when it fell down the sink. I'm on the 21 day combination pill. I followed online instructions and just took the last pill in the pack (active pill, same week). I took the last remaining pill last night. My question is, would it be better to start the placebo week a day early and then start the active pills one day earlier too or would it be safer to just skip the placebo week altogether so I don't miss a pill? I had intercourse a couple days ago and took my pill as usual but the condom slipped off at the very end before he ejaculated, I don't think any semen got in me. But because of the pill I'm still protected right?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Lost a pill

Unread post by Heather »

No, you don't want to shorten the active pill period: that would decrease effectiveness, not increase it. Instead, you'll want to "borrow" a pill from your next pack to use as the last pill in this one. Make sense?

If your condom slipped off, but only did so before ejaculation, your condom didn't offer you any less protection from pregnancy. From STIs, yes, but pregnancy, no.

Want some help with knowing how to better prevent condom slips?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Hakunamatata15
not a newbie

Thank you very much. I'm a little confused though, where from the next pack would I borrow the pill? Wouldn't that leave me with a missed pill in the next month? And yes, I think the issue was that he forgot to hold the base before he withdrew
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

It will, yes. One thing you can do, that's a good idea for anyone, is to ask your prescribing physician to make sure your refills allow you to always have one extra pack to borrow from for pill mishaps.

Per which one to take this time, if the one you missed is available, take that one. If not, can you tell me what brand of pill you are using (so I can know if it's triphasal or not), and then which pill you missed if your pills come in different colors?

So, per the condom, sounds like you know exactly what happened here. Have you talked with him about that so he can be sure to always remember to do that from here on out?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Hakunamatata15
not a newbie

Yeah I did talk to him so I think we will be able to avoid that mistake in the future. I'm on Larin 1/20, the pills are all the same color. I may have an extra pack...
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Okay, so then so long as the pill you borrow is an active -- not placebo pill -- it's all good!
Hakunamatata15
not a newbie

Ok great thank you so much!
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Happy to help. :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic