Best Lubricant?

Questions and discussion about your sexual lives, choices, activities, ideas and experiences.
adip0se
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: my blue eyes
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: pansexual

Best Lubricant?

Unread post by adip0se »

My boyfriend and I were planning on having sex and I heard that lube will make it easier, does anyone have any suggestions for good water-based, latex-safe lube?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Best Lubricant?

Unread post by Heather »

Really, this is something where you try and few brands and dind out which you like best. But really, one simple, water-based lubricant does not differ much from the others, so this will most likely be based on what stores within your reach carry.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
PrincessLuLu
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: obsessed with big bang theory
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Re: Best Lubricant?

Unread post by PrincessLuLu »

The two types of lubricants that are good with condoms are water-based and silicone-based.
Water Based (ie.: KY Jelly, Astroglide, Wet, etc.)
Pros: usually affordable, easy to find, not often irritating (if irritated by glycerin or other chemicals, natural lubricants are available such as Yes, Sliquid, etc. but I do not know much about these brands personally), little to no cleanup
Cons: not waterproof, sometimes requires reapplication
Silicone-based (ie.: Astroglide, Wet, Pink, etc.)
Pros: waterproof (can be used in shower and other places involving a lot of water), lasts longer than water-based
Cons: can't be used with silicone sex toys, cleanup more complicated
By no means should you EVER use oil-based lubricants (vaseline, lotion, baby oil, hair conditioner, etc.) as they're corrosive to latex and can also create a film trapping bacteria.
Water and silicone lubricants can be found at most drugstores, pharmacies, and sex shops. I recommend against lubricants with a lot of dyes, perfumes, etc. for sexual intercourse, as they can be very irritating, but it's up to you. If you're open to shopping online, there is a much wider variety out there.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic