not wearing a bra

Questions and discussions about your bodies and their parts.
Melissa
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: bass enthusiast
Primary language: english
Pronouns: her
Sexual identity: not sure

not wearing a bra

Unread post by Melissa »

I did a little something this morning and I am wondering if its normal. I was out walking my dog thru the park and for the first time ever I ended up taking my bra off. Nobody was around when I took it off. It was very strange at first but after a while I enjoyed just feeling free and relaxed. I know a few guys noticed as we were walking by each other but I sorta think they would have been looking at me anyway. I did have a black top on and I know I wasn't showing anything, but I know it's obvious that I didn't have one on. I guess in the end I just enjoyed not having one on and liking the idea of kinda showing off. Does anybody else do this? Anything wrong with it?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: not wearing a bra

Unread post by Heather »

You certainly aren't the first person in history to liberate themselves of a brassiere and then find that -- go figure! -- you feel liberated. A lot of people feel better without bras, whether that's about having it off sometimes and not others or not wearing them anymore, period.

Nothing wrong with taking off your bra. In fact, it's literally good for you, because while they can be supportive, they do also do some things with circulation and such that aren't the best.

It's also okay to enjoy getting wanted sexual (or what you think is sexual, anyway) attention when it comes to your breasts or any other body part, and to enjoy your body parts when it comes to your sexuality. In fast, those all usually tend to be positive things and experiences for most people. :)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Melissa
not a newbie

Unread post by Melissa »

not being confined is the part I love, but the sexual part of it is fun as well. I will be doing it again but it will not be any place like home or school.
Amanda F
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I love to go rock climbing outside!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Queer

Unread post by Amanda F »

I have had similar experiences - and in fact, I started to enjoy NOT wearing a bra so much that I never wear one any more! I sometimes will wear nipple covers because I prefer not to have them stand out (pun intended :P).

Wearing a bra (or not) should be, and is, such a personal decision. For me, it's less about it being a sexual act, and more about physical comfort. I'm physically so much more comfortable without a bra.

Melissa, way to experiment and learn something new about yourself and your body! That is super cool. :)
Melissa
not a newbie

Unread post by Melissa »

you don't wear on at all? Don't they become an issue? All the moving around and stuff, lol! And don't the guys/girls sometimes just LOOK at you and wonder why you do it?

Every girl at my school has one on (I have looked). I think I would get some LOOKS if I walked in without one (yea, 34b here but it would be obvious).
Gone.Sorry.
not a newbie
Pronouns: required field

Unread post by Gone.Sorry. »

I also do not wear a bra at all either aside from sports bras when working out. I have sensory and semi-dysphoria issues surrounding bras. Fortunately, I am smaller chested, so I do not need the support. I usually camouflage my lack of bra by utilizing multiple layers, nipple covers, thicker and slightly baggy shirts (ie, "men's section" shirts), non-body-hugging button-ups, and the like as needed.

Honestly, I don't pay much attention to how people look at me, though. I have big enough thoughts regarding myself, I don't have much time to worry about anyone else's judgement. =p
Amanda F
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I love to go rock climbing outside!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Queer

Unread post by Amanda F »

I have small breasts (34 A) so I don't have a lot of tissue mass that show under my shirt, and I don't experience very much movement. However, my nipples do show pretty clearly regardless of what shirt I'm wearing.

It took me a long time to get comfortable with the idea of other people seeing my nipples - not because I think that's a bad thing on its own, but I was worried that people would judge me somehow. (Will they think I'm showing off? What might they say about me?) But essentially everyone of all genders and sexes have nipples - so what's the big deal with mine showing? It doesn't seem to be a big deal when people without breast tissue show their nipples...what gives?

After a while, I decided that my comfort was more important than what other people might be thinking about me. I know who I am, and my body is mine. So that helps me care less about what other people think. In fact, it makes me feel empowered because I SHOULD be able to dress how I want. It's other people's responsibility to treat me with respect. I don't have to "earn" it by dressing a certain way or hiding parts of my body. I deserve basic respect, period. Just like everyone else.

Melissa, do you think you might experiment at some point with not wearing a bra in other spaces? I wonder if doing it in some places would feel more comfortable than others. For example, maybe around friends that you trust?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic