part name question (newbie)

Questions and discussions about your bodies and their parts.
bikinksterboy
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: my willingness to try essentially anything
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him
Sexual identity: bisexual

part name question (newbie)

Unread post by bikinksterboy »

what should I call the vagina, vulva, and other female genitalia without sounding stiff or scientific, but also without having to resort to slang like pussy, twat, cunt etc.?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: part name question (newbie)

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi BiKinkster,

My advice would be to generally default to the scientific names, especially when you're not sure what terms are okay with the people you're around. Even if they sound technical, they're not loaded in the way some slang can be. If you're with a partner, which terms are okay/preferred is part of the bigger conversation about what you each do and do not want during sex. That way you avoid accidentally using a word that a previous partner was fine with but that seriously freaks out your current partner.
Anna246
Awesomeness Quotient: I love music
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Female

Unread post by Anna246 »

You can use different names at different time. Obviously you can use the slang once when you'r being naughty, and the scientific names when you are being good. :P
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Just to be clear, what we call someone else's body parts isn't just about when we're engaging in sex with them or aren't. Ultimately, that should be more influenced by what the person whose parts they are wants and doesn't than about our own ideas. And when we're unsure about what someone wants, if we stick more to clinical/anatomical terms, we're less likely to cross someone's lines.

Then, as we get to know someone more, we can ask what they prefer and also just be observant about what words they use when talking about their own parts.

Also, the idea that being sexual is bad or naughty, and not being so is good is something I would always suggest everyone question rather than hold up. There's nothing inherently "bad" or "naughty" about sexuality and/or consensual sex. :)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic