Advice from early bloomers?

Questions and discussions about your bodies and their parts.
Volleygirl22
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Can spike a volleyball, but am only 4'9"
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Les

Advice from early bloomers?

Unread post by Volleygirl22 »

My youngest sister came to me this morning, a little freaked out. She's 9, and starting to develop breast buds. It's kinda noticeable through her shirt, so she's been wearing an extra layer to hide them. She came for me for help, but I don't really know what I can say to calm her down at all, because I wasn't an early bloomer. I didn't need a bra until I was 12 (and quite honestly, in my opinion, I barely have boobs now)! What should I do? She says I'm the only one she told, and she doesn't want our parents to know yet. I told her it's nothing to be embarrassed about, but she still is. Our weather is going to be kinda all over the place this week, so she'll be able to hide them with a sweatshirt for most of it. But she's worried about when it gets warmer and she won't wear one towards the end of the week. What should I do? Any advice?
Snorkmaiden
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I like to help.
Primary language: Dutch
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: straight butch

Re: Advice from early bloomers?

Unread post by Snorkmaiden »

They sell crop tops as underwear for girls nowadays, maybe you could get her some? They're not bras, so they are suitable for young girls, but may still make her feel more at ease as she'll have some more coverage.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Advice from early bloomers?

Unread post by Heather »

What does SHE want? That's really the best way to figure out what you can do.

If it's helpful, as an "early" bloomer myself (though in truth, anymore, 9 isn't actually that early for breast budding), and someone who wasn't into the idea of being feminized early by bras and the likes, I tended to employ a two-undershirt (what we'd call tank tops now) method, where I just wore one that was a little too small, and thus, pretty tight and binding, under another that fit me. I pulled that off pretty well for a while: I think by the time that my mother noticed enough to enforce (as one shouldn't, but so it goes) me to wear a bra, I was a B-cup.

But really, I'd be more concerned with why she's so uncomfortable with your parents knowing. Does she think they won't be respectful and supportive? Is she worried about teasing? What's underneath that? Because it seems to me that something you may be able to do for her -- if it's something she also wants -- is talk to your parents about handling puberty well and supportively so that she doesn't feel like she has to hide normal growth and development -- puberty -- from them, but can instead have them as another source of support.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic