Questions About Tampons

Questions and discussions about your bodies and their parts.
ladyrevan21
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My writing skills
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Questions About Tampons

Unread post by ladyrevan21 »

Hi. Reddit pointed me here, which I'm definitely grateful for. Anyway, I have some questions. How do I insert a tampon correctly when I'm about to go swimming and such? I'm just terrified of inserting it in the wrong hole. Just in case, next time I go swimming on my period (which hopefully I won't), how do I insert it properly?
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: Questions About Tampons

Unread post by Mo »

Hi ladyrevan21, and welcome to Scarleteen!

In terms of inserting a tampon, many brands have an insert that will offer some suggestions to make it easier (for example, some people find that standing with one foot on the ground and the other on the side of a bathtub or something of a similar height helps with insertion). So that might be something to take a look at. Some folks find that an applicator is easier, and others like the small, applicator-less kind of tampons (O. B. is the brand name I know) that you can just insert manually; with both kinds using a bit of lubricant can make insertion easier.

Have you ever used a hand mirror to look at your vulva? Taking a look at where your vaginal opening is, and getting a sense of what it feels like when you can see and know that's what you're feeling, might help you feel less worry about putting a tampon in the right place. While your urethra is near your vaginal opening, it's much smaller - even if you were to bump a tampon up against it at first, there's really not a risk of inserting it in there. Think about what would happen if you bumped your finger against the hole in a rubber nipple from a baby bottle - even if you poke it pretty hard, your finger isn't going to go in that little hole!
ladyrevan21
not a newbie

Thanks! It's good to be here. And thanks for the explanation. Maybe that's my problem -- I've been sort of fumbling blind in regards to the whole tampon thing. I might have to try the whole mirror thing sometime.
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

I definitely encourage you to try looking at yourself with a mirror! Not just to specifically help with tampons, although I think that'll be useful, but because I think it's helpful to have a good sense of your own anatomy in general.
ladyrevan21
not a newbie

I might have to do that! It'll definitely be good to help me get a sense of my own anatomy -- my sex education was actually kind of awful in places. I had a copy of The Care And Keeping of You, but I can't say it was very helpful.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Ladyrevan

Yeah, Care and Keeping of You is a nice starting place, but not so great if you want to go more in depth. If you're looking for some anatomy help (with pictures!), we have this article : Innies & Outies: The Vagina, Clitoris, Uterus and More

I also recommend Our Bodies, Ourselves (they have both a book and a blog), as their whole goal is to get people familiar and comfortable with their bodies.
ladyrevan21
not a newbie

Yeah. Great book, but it's pretty obvious it is very much geared towards a younger audience. Great article, by the way! It's pretty fascinating knowing where everything lines up. Also may have to check out Our Bodies Ourselves. I really may.
missmia
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Listening and helping others
Sexual identity: Heterosexual but leaning more towards asexual

Unread post by missmia »

Hi there! I think the best time for someone who is confused on using a tampon is to insert it while you are on your period. This will allow you to feel around and to find out where the blood is coming from. You should use the applicator, which will come with the tampon and each one is individually wrapped. You will then Insert the applicator and push. The tampon should sit comfortably in your vagina. The string should also be out, so that you can pull out the tampon when you're ready to change!
Don't reuse applicators, just toss it. Each tampon will come with an applicator. You will be able to just wear the tampon normally when you go swimming as well! However, I would suggest putting on a new tampon whenever you get ready to go swimming, just so you have a fresh one. If anything hurts, take it out and try again!
Also, be careful of tampons that are extra absorbent. Some of the chemicals they use in these have been linked to toxic shock syndrome. Most of these have been recalled, but a few are still on the market and be sure to check!
I hope this helps and happy swimming!
Miss Mia :)
Carmen
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: disco dancing on roller skates
Pronouns: she/her

Unread post by Carmen »

Thanks for that addition Missmia, but I just want to add that the processes of putting in tampons can be different for everyone. Some people like tampons with applicators, some people don't! And sometimes the best time to try putting in a tampon in can be when feeling most mentally prepared (and being on one's period can help, as you said, as can any kind of lubrication as Mo mentioned before). In summary - just getting to know yourself and what works best for you :)
LaurenBacall
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm really great at talking to strangers
Pronouns: She
Sexual identity: Attracted to masculine men with mushy hearts

Unread post by LaurenBacall »

Also on using tampons, it might be better to try putting one in when you're NOT on your period, so there's no pressure to get it done. Take an hour and lay on your with a handful of tampon and a hand mirror and try them out without worrying about making a mess if you don't get it the first time. Or even before trying to put a tampon in, try just using your hand to feel where your vagina is and which direction it goes inside, so when you try and use a tampon ,you know how far to push or where to angle it.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

(As a general rule for vaginal health, it's not typically advised for people to insert tampons when not menstruating. They are also harder to insert for many people without the fluids menses provides, so that likely would be a harder way to learn to use them rather than making it easier.)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic