Breast Tenderness

Questions and discussions about your bodies and their parts.
Kela
not a newbie
Primary language: UK English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Cisgender and Straight

Breast Tenderness

Unread post by Kela »

Just wondering if anyone had any remedies for breast tenderness? I am getting to the end of my 3 years on the implant and am finding an increase in breast tenderness and bleeding :( I've read somewhere that the herb agnus castus is a good one to try, but is there anything else? Paracetamol is proving ineffective :(
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Breast Tenderness

Unread post by Heather »

I'd be sure you check in with whoever has prescribed the Paracetamol for you: let them know it's not working, so they can ditch that and try something else. Too, I'd talk with them to see if they feel this is related to the implant, and if so, you may want to suggest trying a new method the next time around, like an IUD, for example.

Icing or cold compresses is something that typically helps.

Have you tried wearing sports bras a size too small or so? In a word, compressing the breasts usually tends to help with tenderness.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Kela
not a newbie

Unread post by Kela »

The paracetamol is an over the counter medicine, so I just took it from my cupboard at home hoping it would do something to help.
I'm pretty sure it is to do with the implant, Am I right in thinking things like bleeding and breast tenderness can increase the closer you get to implant removal time? I am happy to continue, as long as the protection is there I am willing to put up with a bit of discomfort like this :P Hmm I hadn't considered a too small bra!
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

I'm not aware of that being reported as an issue, no, but spotting is THE number one biggest side effect with the implant, period, and breast tenderness is also something that will just often happen with breasts, implant or not.

So, again, I'd discuss this with your healthcare provider. They're the best person to help you determine if this is or isn't likely (the tenderness, not the spotting, since spotting is likely with implants at any time) to be related to your implant in any way.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

FYI, with compression, I'm NOT talking about a bra with underwires or separate cups, but about a standard compression sports bra: no wires, no cups, basically just a very stretchy band. You know, the kind that results in uniboob. :P
Kela
not a newbie

Unread post by Kela »

Aah okay. I'm very stressed again so I suppose that could be a cause. It normally comes before bleeding, thats why I figured they may be part of the same thing. Haha it's okay I got you about the bra thing ;) Only thing is I am quite a generous cup size, sometimes those stretchy sporty bras just make it worse!!
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

I hear you. Butcha know, if you're in pain, getting out of pain probably is a better option than staying in pain because a bra doesn't make your breasts look how you'd like. Me, I'll take looking funny with something, or not how I'd ideally like to, if it means that something that hurts really bad stops hurting so badly.

- signed, the person who has to bring pillows into some movie theaters to sit and see a movie without pain, and will take the funny looks any day over being in agony the whole time :P
Kela
not a newbie

Unread post by Kela »

Ohh yeah thats what I mean, because I'm so big, stretchy bras often don't give enough support and make the pain even worse :(
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

For this purpose, again, you want to get one that is a size too small. You can also wear two at a time.

I feel you with this -- I am an E cup myself, and perimenopause has caused me a great deal of breast pain, which is only made worse by having a whole-body chronic pain disorder. I find one very thick one a size smaller makes a big difference OR two that aren't so thick (or, one sports bra that's smaller worn with one of those tank tops with a shelf bra in it that's also pretty tight) worn at the same time, especially if I don't just do this when things hurt, but pretty regularly: it seems, for me, like it also keeps the pain from getting epic, even though it's usually only suggested as breast pain relief once it starts. Same goes with the icing/cold compresses.
Kela
not a newbie

Unread post by Kela »

Aah okay, thanks for the insight!!
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

No trouble: I hope you're out of pain soon!
Kela
not a newbie

Unread post by Kela »

An update, I started bleeding, and the tenderness is nearly all gone, so I'm guessing it is probably related in some way :)
Stephanie
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: Social Butterfly :)
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/ her
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Unread post by Stephanie »

Also, some of the sporty bras when paired with a tight cami or tanktop type shirt can work as well. I used to have that issue (also a large cup size) and found that when I have breast tenderness with hormones a good sports bra with my tight cami shirt gives me enough support to be comfortable and work with whatever shirt I put on top. And I bought fancy lace topped ones so I get the "I meant to look this way" fashion.
If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic