Resources to learn about effects of AFAB people doing testosterone?

Questions and discussions about your bodies and their parts.
bluespreadsheet
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Artistic Talent
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: aromatic asexual

Resources to learn about effects of AFAB people doing testosterone?

Unread post by bluespreadsheet »

I'm really curious about the topic of people doing testosterone, but I'm struggling to find good resources about it online. Most of what I found is very basic stuff about "Why would someone do this" and short lists of possible effects. I also wonder about the effects of people doing it at different ages, like someone whos in their 30s, so is full grown, vs someone who hasn't started puberty yet.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Resources to learn about effects of AFAB people doing testosterone?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi bluespreadsheet,

If you haven't seen it yet, this section of our Trans Summer School might be a helpful starting place: Testosterone.
A lot of the effects of testosterone are consistent regardless of age, although if you start it when you're older, if it was in your genes for you to go bald that will happen sooner rather than later.

Generally speaking, someone who hasn't hit puberty yet will not be put on testosterone right away. In a lot of places, if someone is under 18 the only kind of hormonal element of gender affirming care they might have access to is blockers, so they'd be on those until they decided they wanted to either try testosterone (and were legally allowed to) or decided they were okay with going through whatever puberty their body had in store. But someone can move from being on blockers to being on testosterone.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic