Too embarrassed to go to the doctor

Questions and discussions about your bodies and their parts.
Jay27
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Lesbian

Too embarrassed to go to the doctor

Unread post by Jay27 »

Right now I have a burning sensation when I pee, but I’ve gone to my college health center at least 3 times the past year with these symptoms and I always come up negative for a UTI or any kind of vaginal infection. No one knows what’s wrong with me. Usually it goes away on its own a few days later.

I feel too embarrassed to go back because what if I get another negative test and they think I’m lying about having symptoms? Or they think I’m crazy? Should I go to a walk in urgent care or planned parenthood instead so they don’t know about my history?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Too embarrassed to go to the doctor

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Jay26,

Ouch, that sounds so unpleasant! I don't see any reason not to go back to the health center; it's not that strange for people to have recurring health issues, so most healthcare providers are going to be aware that's a thing. Too, them knowing your history could actually be beneficial, since to me it sounds like it's time to have a longer conversation with them about what could be behind this recurring pain.
Jay27
not a newbie

Unread post by Jay27 »

I’ve mentioned the pain to my gynecologist but it was towards the end of an appointment and we didn’t really have time to talk about it. I’m diagnosed with PCOS and we suspect endometriosis which I know can cause bladder pain. Can’t get definitively diagnosed without surgery though and my gyno doesn’t refer people my age to surgery unless they have severe symptoms that don’t get better from any treatment. The last time I went to the health center they said I should get this checked out by a doctor but I already tried.
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

Got it. Is there any way for you to make a new appointment with your gynecologist or try again to have another healthcare provider? And did you and your gynecologist discuss ways for you to treat your symptoms or rule out other diagnoses besides endometriosis so you can make sure you're getting the right kind of treatment?
Jay27
not a newbie

Unread post by Jay27 »

Well my main symptoms are severe cramps before and during my period including back and leg cramps, heavy periods, irregular periods, and acne. I started taking a progestin only birth control pill 10 days ago and my gyno told me to take supplements and ibuprofen to help with cramps. I have another appointment with her in December.
We’re 100% sure that I have PCOS because I got blood tests showing hormonal imbalances and the ultrasound showed a lot of ovarian cysts. But there’s something else going on because PCOS doesn’t explain all my symptoms.
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

Ouch, that all sounds so unpleasant! I would keep an eye on those symptoms as your body adjusts to being on the pill; hopefully that will help decrease some of them. If it doesn't, you may want to see if you can have your next appointment with her sooner than December.
Jay27
not a newbie

Unread post by Jay27 »

Yeah I hope things get better. I’ve still had cramps on the pill but it hasn’t been that long. Idk if it helps with bladder pain cause all the reviews I read about using it for endometriosis said that it made their periods lighter and less crampy, but no one mentioned other symptoms
Nicole
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: EN, ES, RU, UA
Sexual identity: Queer

Unread post by Nicole »

Hi Jay27,

If you're still curious, you could always call your gynecologist and ask about how the pill impacts bladder symptoms. That might answer your question, plus you'll get information directly from your doctor!
Jay27
not a newbie

Unread post by Jay27 »

Oh I kind of forgot I can just call her.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic