Was I given the right information?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
TownHall
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My kindness
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She
Sexual identity: Heterosexual

Was I given the right information?

Unread post by TownHall »

Hey Scarleteen, Yesterday I was hanging out with the ladies of my church youth group and one of the leaders is a 35 year old who works as a nurse. Me and some of the other girls were just sitting down talking about the reproductive system, sex and pregnancy. She stated that every month two eggs are released, one from each ovary, and then there are about 8 other eggs already going through stages for the next month to get released. This is the first time I have ever heard that two eggs are actually released instead of one and it kind of confused me. Wouldn't then both eggs be fertilized and then you'd have two babies if two eggs were released? or I guess I'm confused.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Was I given the right information?

Unread post by Heather »

This isn't accurate information, and you're right to think that if it were, it would change a LOT of things. People who ovulate only usually release one ovum each cycle, from one ovary; quite rarely, two. All the other ovum in the body are basically all just hanging out like they have been since you were born and will be until you're done with menopause.

Here is how it works, from a couple pieces here on our site:
Human Reproduction: A Seafarer's Guide
Get With the Flow: All About FAM

Here are another couple links, with accurate information, in other places, if you want a variety, or if you want to bring this correct information to your group (a thing we can talk about ding, if you want):
https://www.webmd.com/baby/ss/slideshow ... -ovulation
https://www.optionsforsexualhealth.org/ ... ethods/fam
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
TownHall
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My kindness
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She
Sexual identity: Heterosexual

Unread post by TownHall »

Thank you! I was doing the reading on the articles and that’s always what I’ve heard to be true. I want to bring this to the group and tell her that it wasn’t correct information but I don’t want her to get mad cause she has a nursing degree and “knows more” than I do... I just don’t like the incorrect information cause the other girls were confused and a little freaked out as well. I feel like maybe she did it to scare us away from sex like saying “two eggs come out so you have a double chance of becoming pregnant so don’t have sex before marriage” type of thing. We discussed maybe having a reproductive system seminar with other ladies as well but I don’t want them to be misinformed either.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

I get it, even though for sure, doctors and nurses aren’t always correct just because they are doctors and nurses. And honestly, most of them never got ANY education about sex and sexuality in med school, and those who did usually have only had a week or two of it, tops. If they specialized in OB/GYN, they should have had education about reproduction, but even then, they can still be wrong, like any member of any profession can be.

But I understand the power issues involved, for sure. Maybe the best way to go is to just tell the other attendees of the meeting the correct information privately, then?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic