Clarification on pre-cum related pregnancy scare

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
john
not a newbie
Pronouns: he

Clarification on pre-cum related pregnancy scare

Unread post by john »

I saw that this site stated that these things CANNOT cause pregnancy:
- contact with precum (but not intercourse or direct genital-to-genital contact)
- manual sex/fingering (accounts for pre-cum being on the finger)

Now, I am confused on
- why is there pregnancy chance from precum through genital-to-genital contact but NOT from pre-cum through fingering? How do they differ?
- Why is there pregnancy chance from contact with ejaculate but NOT from contact with pre-ejaculate (not through intercourse or direct genital contact). Is it because of the difference in the quantity of sperm? or any other expalanation?

I could really use some explanation here.

Thanks a lot.

-John
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Clarification on pre-cum related pregnancy scare

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi John,

To your first question, manual sex (fingering) does not pose any pregnancy risk regardless of what fluids are on the hands, because sperm simply aren't going to survive that transfer . Whereas with genital contact, the sperm have a chance of getting into the vaginal canal intact.

For your second question, I'm not sure I follow the situation you're describing. What situation are you picturing where there is contact with ejaculate/pre-ejaculate that isn't intercourse or direct genital contact?

If you haven't already done so, it may help to read about the way that pregnancy does happen, rather than focusing on the many, many ways it doesn't: Human Reproduction: A Seafarer's Guide
john
not a newbie
Pronouns: he

Re: Clarification on pre-cum related pregnancy scare

Unread post by john »

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the response, I really appreciate it.

for the 2nd question, the scenario that I imagined was similar to the first question, contact via fingers.

I thought that contact with ejaculate (even via finger) poses a pregnancy risk whereas contact with pre-ejaculate (via finger) doesnt.

I got this fact from:

quoted from pregnancy panic companion article: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/bodie ... _companion

In order for pregnancy to be a possibility, the kind of contact that has to happen is:

Direct contact with EJACULATE (SEMEN) and the vulva, vaginal opening or anus.

and

Scenarios like these are NOT how pregnancy happens:

Contact with PRE-EJACULATE, but NOT during intercourse or direct genital-to-genital contact

Thanks sam.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic