Antibiotics and the pill

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Angeldelight123
not a newbie

Antibiotics and the pill

Unread post by Angeldelight123 »

Hi there

What is the deal with antibiotics and birth control? Do they affect each other? I was on Flucloxacillin tablets during my last cycle of pills and many many pharmacists and my local sexual health clinic told me I had nothing to worry about as antibiotics no longer affect contraception.
The thing is, I'm a little concerned and was wondering, since I was on antibiotics during my last cycle (during the third week of pills), would that affect how my new cycle of pills work? I got my withdrawal bleed at the usual time then and I'm currently on the first week of my current pill cycle, so would there have been a gap in protection then due to the antibiotics?
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Antibiotics and the pill

Unread post by Karyn »

Most antibiotics are not thought to affect the pill, and if the clinic staff and multiple pharmacists told you that there would be no interference, you can trust that information. In addition, even if your pill had been affected, you took those antibiotics during your previous pack of pills, so your current cycle would not be affected.

We have more information about what interferes with the pill's effectiveness here: Something You Can Worry About Less: Interference and Hormonal Birth Control
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Angeldelight123
not a newbie

thanks for the reply,

It's because I had sex during my 7-day break (used condoms!!!) and I also engaged in sexual activity with no intercourse but my boyfriend did ejaculate on my stomach, this happened on the first day of my new current cycle so it was the day I took my first pill of the new back so I am not sure if there was a gap in protection due to taking the antibiotics on the last week of my previous cycle? Or am I okay?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Angeldelight,

As long as your antibiotic was not one of the ones listed in that article (and it looks like medical staff told you there would be no interference, so you can trust them), you can assume there was not a decrease in effectiveness of your pill.
Angeldelight123
not a newbie

Thank youuu!

I read my patient info leaflet that comes with my pill, and it listed all of the medication that could cause influence, and it did not state any antibiotics other than rifampicin or something? Then also some other weird medications like antifungals etc, but nothing about the antibiotic I was taking, so should I trust that there was no interference with the two medications?
Onionpie
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Absolutely Everything
Primary language: English
Sexual identity: fluid

Unread post by Onionpie »

Absolutely. If both the clinic AND the leaflet say that particular antibiotic doesn't affect your pill, you're totally in the clear.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic