Black blood after IUD removal. No period

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
IUDpain
not a newbie

Black blood after IUD removal. No period

Unread post by IUDpain »

I got my Paragard removed on Monday.
Before I got it removed I was bleeding . The bleeding stopped after 2 days after removal then started again two days before my period was suppose to start. All I am doing now is discharging black blood. Im freaking out .
My period is officially late and all im bleeding is black blood. Its really black not even dark brown.
Help!
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Re: Black blood after IUD removal. No period

Unread post by Redskies »

Menstrual flow can be blackish sometimes, so given the timing and that you haven't reported any other issues with this bleeding, this may very well be your period.

If you're concerned, the best person to ask is a healthcare provider who can examine you in person and consider your whole health situation and history.
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
IUDpain
not a newbie

Unread post by IUDpain »

Redskies wrote:Menstrual flow can be blackish sometimes, so given the timing and that you haven't reported any other issues with this bleeding, this may very well be your period.

If you're concerned, the best person to ask is a healthcare provider who can examine you in person and consider your whole health situation and history.

My period is usually heavy and bright red.

The black blood is just stopping today. I dont know why it's like this or if it was my period.
I have stated before that it is very difficult for me to see a health care provider in a timely matter (And honestly i'm sick of going to the GYN so much)
Is this a normal side effect of getting the IUD out?
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Unread post by Redskies »

Periods can be and are occasionally different, even for usually very regular people.

I hear that you're finding it hard to get healthcare. Sadly, we're still not an adequate fill-in for that because we're not doctors and we're not in-person, so it'd be deeply irresponsible of us and certainly not in your best interests for us to try to fill that gap.

The provider who took out your IUD should have given you information about anything to expect or anything to watch out for. You can also telephone their office with any questions that are connected to the procedure, and they can let you know whether it sounds fine to them or if they feel you'd benefit from any follow-up care, and how to get that care.
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
IUDpain
not a newbie

Unread post by IUDpain »

Redskies wrote:Periods can be and are occasionally different, even for usually very regular people.

I hear that you're finding it hard to get healthcare. Sadly, we're still not an adequate fill-in for that because we're not doctors and we're not in-person, so it'd be deeply irresponsible of us and certainly not in your best interests for us to try to fill that gap.

The provider who took out your IUD should have given you information about anything to expect or anything to watch out for. You can also telephone their office with any questions that are connected to the procedure, and they can let you know whether it sounds fine to them or if they feel you'd benefit from any follow-up care, and how to get that care.

The doctor didnt give me any information, just gave me pills and sent me on my way.

I never had a period like this. Light and black and chunky. Could it be the IUD at all? I dont know what to think all I get from the net is pregnancy but I had sex with a condom 5 days before it was taken out and 7 days before unprotected. We have used a condom after that each time . If I remember correctly the doctor did do a pregnancy test but once I told them I had an IUD they might have not completed the test as the nurse said "oh you have an iud" and turned around.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi IUDpain,

I'm sorry that you've been feeling frustrated in some of those healthcare visits. Something that would be a sound next move is to call to doctor (or office/clinic) that did the removal and ask to talk to them about the bleeding you're experiencing. Even if they did not give you information when you left, they should be able to provide it if you call and talk to them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic