STD or Prostatitis?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Milanista45
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Sexual identity: Straight male

STD or Prostatitis?

Unread post by Milanista45 »

Hey guys,

A month or two ago, I had protected vaginal intercourse (and unprotected oral sex) with a close female friend of mine. However, for the past week or so I've been urinating a lot more frequently. There isn't any burning upon urination- however there is some noticeable discomfort in the tip of my penis when I'm in certain positions and my meatus is slightly- but noticeably- inflamed and red. There is no unusual discharge and I have a dull pain in my back and buttock region. I don't feel very sexy, to say the least, haha.

I went to a walk-in health clinic and they ran a urinalysis. There was no obvious sign of any blood or infection in the urine but they said they would run a urine culture and contact me in a few days (still haven't heard back yet). They didn't specifically say that they were testing for STDs (the doctor didn't think my symptoms looked much like a symptomatic response to any STD) and I sheepishly just assumed they'd be able to spot chlamydia etc. from a basic urinalysis. (I've since learned that's usually not the case.) I would've called the clinic and asked but unfortunately they've been closed for the holiday...

I really didn't think I had any STDs from that encounter since we used a condom during intercourse, although I've since learned that it is possible to get certain STDs from oral sex. I contacted her about this and she told me she had been tested since her last unprotected session of intercourse: all clear, and I see no reason that she would lie to me since we are so close.

I still plan to be tested once the holiday season comes to a close and my usual doctor returns from his Christmas Vacation next week. But from the sound of it this really doesn't sound STD-related. I'm really at a loss, and I'm becoming very discouraged. It's been about a week and there is no sign of improvement. I'm not sure what you folks know about Prostatitis since it's usually not sexually transmitted from what I can gather, but if you've got any insight at all on this subject, please don't hesitate to help me out.

I know this was a long post, thanks so much for your time.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: STD or Prostatitis?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Milanista,

Ouch, that sounds really uncomfortable. I think your plan to get a full test for STIs once the clinics re-open is your best bet. Hopefully the other clinic will contact you very soon with results and, more importantly, how to treat what is going on. If you find that your symptoms are getting worse, or getting more painful, then it would also be sound to visit an urgent care facility to see if they can figure out what is going on and get treatment going
Milanista45
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Sexual identity: Straight male

Unread post by Milanista45 »

Turns out the clinic did test for STIs, however I got a phone call this morning that the culture was "compromised" within the lab and the results could not be read. (How irritating.) Anyhow, I saw my general practitioner this morning and he re-tested me for STI's but said this sounded much more like bacterial prostatitis than an STI. He did examine my genitals and confirmed there was nothing unusual in discharge or appearance. He gave me antibiotics, which he said would hopefully treat my symptoms regardless of the cause while we are waiting for the urine culture results. I'm a 20 year old physically active and otherwise healthy college male, so I was pretty surprised to hear that I've got prostate inflammation, but it's apparently more popular in younger guys than I thought.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your responses as always.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

I hope you're feeling better soon!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic