Birth control and time zone change

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Kim_2704
not a newbie
Primary language: Spanish/English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Heterosexual

Birth control and time zone change

Unread post by Kim_2704 »

Hello! I haven't been able to reach out to my doctor to ask him about this, so the next best option are you guys! C: I'll be going to Australia (traveling from Ecuador) for the next three months, and it's very important for me to take my pill at the right times for maximum effectiveness, as I'll be visiting my boyfriend. So, the question is...how do I adjust to a difference of 15 hours without compromising effectiveness? I've been taking my pill at 6am Ecuador time (which is 9pm Australia, but still on the same day), is it safe if I just go to Australia and take it at 9pm (which is the equivalent to the time in which i'm taking it now?
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Re: Birth control and time zone change

Unread post by Redskies »

That would be fine! Doing it that way, you just want to make sure that you take each pill 24 hours in your own life after you took the previous pill, no matter what time the sun or clocks say it is :) That can get confusing or forgotten if you're in the middle of a long time-zone changing journey, so one thing you could do is figure out beforehand roughly what part of the journey you expect to be in when it'll be time to take your pill, and connect your pill-taking with something you'd be doing at that time, and also make yourself whatever kind of reminder will work best for you. If you're ever unsure that you took all your pills correctly, you can always back up for 7 days with another method for extra safety and peace of mind.

You can also change the body-time you take your pill and keep it at the same clock-time of day; doing it that way, you'd want to be careful to note whether you had more than 24 body-hours between pills at any point, and if you did, use a back-up method for 7 days to be safe.
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
Kim_2704
not a newbie
Primary language: Spanish/English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Heterosexual

Unread post by Kim_2704 »

I'll definitely use condoms at all times! c:. I have to take my last pill of this pack this upcoming tuesday, and I start my trip on monday. I'n pretty sure I'll be in Miami when it's time to take that one, so that makes it a lot easier :D. Now, I have to take my seven day break pretty much on my first week in Aus, so I don't want to mess up and start my next pack late. Would it be safe if I start it at 9pm Australia time, since it would technically still be the same day in Ecuador (and so, I'll still start on wednesdays, as usual)
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Unread post by Redskies »

I'll write my thought-workings aloud for us both to see clearly :)

Mon: active pill 6am Ecuador time ( = 9pm Mon in Aus)
Tue: final active pill 6am Ecuador time/ 9pm Aus time
Wed: break day 1; Thurs 2, Fri 3, Sat 4, Sun 5, Mon 6, Tues 7th day of break, all 9pm Aus time
...Wed: First pill of new pack, 9pm Aus

Sounds right to me!
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic