How pregnancy works question

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Hearth6
not a newbie

How pregnancy works question

Unread post by Hearth6 »

Hey there,

I was reading the "dry humping freak out" article and it really opened my eyes since I never had any formal sex Ed classes so I am very thankful for that! I am confused about one thing though, it says in the article:
“They [sperm] need the properties of semen in order to move. Another way of looking at it is that if the semen makes any stops between a penis and vagina, such as on your hands or a piece of clothing, the sperm can’t then move from there to the vagina, even if the area where they landed touches the vulva (outside of the vagina) or inside the vagina itself.” So from what this is saying, there is no risk of pregnancy even if a guy ejaculated on his hand then immediately fingered a girl? Is that true?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: How pregnancy works question

Unread post by Heather »

We've given you think link before, but it answers this question and more, so I'm going to share it with you again: Human Reproduction: A Seafarer's Guide.

Note this section:
Can I get pregnant if my partner ejaculates in his pants/in the bathtub/across an interstate highway (and so forth)? The way people become pregnant, setting aside in-vitro technologies, is through direct vulval or vaginal contact with semen that is being ejaculated right there and then. Sperm cells can only stay motile up to around a half hour or so in an environment that is unfriendly to them (in other words, outside the testicles, vagina or in specific lab conditions). Again, they are very, very delicate, especially once outside the testes. Were there a comic book about sperm, they wouldn't be the superheroes: they would be the helpless folks superheroes need to save. I don't mean to go all cagematch, but if egg cells and sperm cells were to have a fight, sperm cells wouldn't stand a chance.

So while, for instance, having unprotected anal sex where sperm can run right down into the vagina does create a possible (but unlikely) risk of pregnancy, it isn't anything close to as likely a risk as it is with vaginal intercourse. If there is a distinct barrier, like clothing or a condom, or serious distance between the vagina and the penis in question, such as pants, a condom, a body of water or a mall, there is not a likely risk of pregnancy. People also do not have to worry about pregnancies being caused by things like semen left on bedding, toilets or sinks, shaking hands with someone who maybe masturbated that day, or any other kind of indirect contact like that. In addition, you cannot get pregnant by swallowing semen, through oral sex, or by manual ("handjobs" or "fingering") sex.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Hearth6
not a newbie

Unread post by Hearth6 »

Yes i read this, it says "aren't likely to" regarding penis to hand to vulva. What does "aren't likely to" mean? 0% chance?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

We can't give those kinds of figures, thus the language we DO use, because no one can: bodies and fertility are simply too variable for the kind of statistic you're asking for. If there was no risk whatsoever, however, we would say that. This is now the third time this morning I'm telling you that no, there is not no risk, there is some possible risk.

I'm going to close this thread now, because you've got my answers, threefold, and you trying to get me to give a different answer than I have both isn't okay, but also isn't going to result in one.

Btw, since you're in your twenties now, and you've said many times you didn't get a good sexual health education, why not go to the library or the bookstore and do what you can for yourself to change that, since no one is keeping you from that information now? I think a copy of "Our Bodies, Ourselves," as a start, would be a great choice for you.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Locked Previous topicNext topic