How to ask gynecologist for STI tests and how much they cost?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
PrincessLuLu
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: obsessed with big bang theory
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Straight

How to ask gynecologist for STI tests and how much they cost?

Unread post by PrincessLuLu »

I'm not extremely worried right now, but I see my gynecologist in May (it is november as I write this) and was curious what to do to ask for STI testing. I know they typically have to be asked for specifically, and know very little about this. Also, how much do they cost (I have caresource, a plan through my state's Medicaid program)?
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: How to ask gynecologist for STI tests and how much they cost?

Unread post by Mo »

Really all you need to do is to say you're interested in STI testing; if you ask for tests in general, your doctor can talk with you and make recommendations about what specific tests make the most sense in your circumstances. If you want to call in and make a note that you'd like to have that conversation a few weeks before your exam, that's fine, but you can just mention it at the appointment too. Whether your doctor can handle all the tests in-office depends on the setup of the practice but you can get the process started at the appointment.

In terms of how much the tests will cost, the best resource for that is your plan itself. You should be able to find that information through Caresource either on their website, or by contacting someone by phone/email. That contact info should be on your insurance card or on their site. There are just so many insurance plans and variables that go into determining the cost of treatments that we don't have that information, but you should be able to find it with a little digging. :)
PrincessLuLu
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: obsessed with big bang theory
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Re: How to ask gynecologist for STI tests and how much they cost?

Unread post by PrincessLuLu »

I will definitely remember to mention it at my next appointment. I am not too worried right now, but I will likely not be seeing my gynecologist until May/June (it is November as I write this) unless I develop an issue. As for finding out what is covered, I have had significant issues understanding this. Caresource has an online 'handbook' that says what services are covered, but it simply says 'sti testing and treatment', not what specific ones are paid for. I will probably have to call them and figure out. Thank you
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic