Considering switching birth control methods?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
PrincessLuLu
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: obsessed with big bang theory
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Considering switching birth control methods?

Unread post by PrincessLuLu »

Okay, so I am a 21 year old female in a long term, serious, monogamous relationship with a guy. We have been sexually involved for a while, but as of right now we have not had 'sex' (vaginal intercourse), and I have not done this specific thing before ever and neither has he. I have been taking birth control pills for almost 5 years (my current brand about 3 1/2 years, TriSprintec). When I first started taking it, I was given it for hormonal issues (irregular menses, dysmenorrhea, and heavy bleeding during menses), and at first I had serious difficulties remembering to take them around the same time or even would miss some days (all of which years before I entered into any sexual relationship). Taking these pills have significantly improved these issues. Sometimes, though, I worry about when we start having sex, because sometimes I do not remember to take them on time (usually not off more than an hour or two; more than that does not happen more than a few times a year). We also plan on using condoms, and I have a Plan B on hand and know several reliable places to get more if needed. I am not fully sure on what I want to do at this point, but I would be interested in considering other methods.
Below are my requirements:
-something likely to have similar effects that the Pill already gives me (I would be okay with lighter periods or the possibility of them ceasing or slowing down)
-Nothing permanent (so sterilization out of the question)
-nothing irritating (spermicides or anything requiring something similar out of question) as yeast infections can happen
-I am VERY hesitant about the injectable method as my family has history of bone weakness (I'd still consider it but not as a first choice)
-Has to be covered by my insurance (at this time I have Caresource, a program through my state's public health insurance system, as I currently do not work and am a college student)
-good effectiveness rate and less reliance on the user remembering things every single day

Please tell me as much as you can. I see my gynecologist in May (it is November as I write this) and would like to know what questions to ask
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: Considering switching birth control methods?

Unread post by Mo »

Have you looked through our Birth Control Bingo! series yet? It has a pretty comprehensive run-down of the birth control options available to you. In terms of methods you don't have to remember daily, the least-high-maintenance options at the moment are the IUD or birth control implant, so take a look at those pages for sure.

Like with STI testing, the way to know if any particular type of birth control is covered by your plan is to get in touch with them directly.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Just based on your criteria here, and the side benefits you want, a hormonal IUD sounds like it might be exactly what you're looking for. IUDs are also often covered through public health. That link Mo gave you has a page for IUD information.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
PrincessLuLu
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: obsessed with big bang theory
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Unread post by PrincessLuLu »

Thank you Mo and Heather! This is very helpful. I will definitely do more research on these two methods and talk with my gyno next time I see her. Any ideas as to good questions to ask?
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Unread post by Redskies »

I think taking in the information and the list of requirements you put in your first post here would be a great idea and would really fill the doctor in on your health situation and preferences.

You might also ask your gynaecologist if they're able to fit all methods themself (the majority of gynaecologists usually will be) or if they'd refer you to someone else for any particular method. Other than that, you've clearly already put considerable thought into this, and there's nothing that jumps out at me as missing. Any other questions to ask would really be about anything that you particularly want to know, or anything that's particularly important or relevant to you :)
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic