Birth Control Sex

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Olivia15
not a newbie
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Birth Control Sex

Unread post by Olivia15 »

Me and my boyfriend had sex with a condom for the first time on Sept. 11, and it freaked us both out a little, so we decided not to have sex again until I get on birth control, which is something we've both been excited about.

So I started taking birth control for the first time on October 3rd, and I'm going to be seeing my boyfriend this coming Friday. We're planning on using condoms, along with the birth control. After waiting this long, like 2 weeks, the birth control should already be effective, right? I took pills between 11 and 1 every day. For some reason it seems like this tiny little pill isn't doing anything since I haven't had any symptoms. We want to make sure we are staying really safe! (against pregnancy, we both know we are STD free).

Also, question about condom use, If i suck his dick for a little bit first as foreplay (just to get him hard, not to make him cum), is it safe to put a condom on after that activity? I know most condom errors are because they aren't being used properly, so i want to make sure I really understand how to use condoms correctly!!

Thinking about this upcoming date with my boyfriend is both exciting, and a little nerve-wracking. We have both wanted to have sex again really bad, but now that we have everything we need, I'm kind of nervous hoping that everything goes right! Is there anything we can do to make sure we are being safe and using protection correctly? Thank you!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Birth Control Sex

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Olivia,

As far as the pills go, when it becomes fully effective depends when you start and things like your own body chemistry. We, and several other sources, recommend waiting for at least one full cycle of the pill before going without back-up to make sure the pill is fully effective. But, since you're planning on using back up, that's less of an issue.

Oral sex and then putting the condom on is not likely to cause the condom to fail. If you want to get a bunch of information on how to use a condom most effectively, check this out: All the Barriers! All the Time!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic