Birth control health risks (cancer + clotting)?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
afk7867
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: funny
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: straight

Birth control health risks (cancer + clotting)?

Unread post by afk7867 »

So I made an appointment with planned parenthood to get birth control, specifically the arm implant. I am getting this birth control completely confidentially as my parents cannot in any way know. That's why I am so excited for my nexplanon, because it is so secretive! However, after having a conversation with my mom, I realized I completely over looked some serious side affects.

My mom was diagnosed with stage 0 breast cancer years ago. It was such a non issue for her that she didn't even tell us, we found out by mistake. She got radiation (I believe) and now she's fine. There are other instances of breast cancer in my family, I believe in my great aunt but I don't know for sure.

My one cousin has a serious clotting disorder. I think he takes blood thinners for them. Some of my other cousins have lupus.

I personally do not have any serious health issues that I know of. I do not know if my mom had the BRCA cancers or if I am positive for anything. Right now, I am a healthy person, maybe slightly chubby.

However, I keep hearing about how certain birth controls increase the risk of cancers and clots and now I'm scared as EVER. Especially because I don't have a clear idea of my family history and I feel awkward asking my mom for it all (shes a doctor) since she may get suspicious (although I probably will). I also don't really know how to interpret it all when she tells me. I don't know what these terms mean, what the risks are!

I have OCD to I was really excited to get my implant and start to have worry free sex. But now I'm scared I'm going to be putting horrible things in my body that are going to increase my risk for these issues that are in my family history. Since my mom/dad don't know about my birth control, I feel even more worried because they would ideally be able to tell me if I should really be concerned about my birth control + family history. But I don't even have the chance to get their input. I don't want to end up hurting myself more than protecting myself. However, I've been holding off on sex until I get the implant and now I just want it because I'm sexually frustrated to be honest! I just want the implant and to not be scared of the serious risks!

Any information on the serious health risks of birth control would be amazing.
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Re: Birth control health risks (cancer + clotting)?

Unread post by Eddie C »

Hello there, afk. :)

Questions like this are always best answered by a healthcare provider in person so my best advice would be to have a very long talk with the person who is going to prescribe the implant and that you make sure you understand everything you need/want to know. After all, that's what doctors are for. :)

I know that talking with our parents about things like sex and sexual health is not easy, and I totally understand how awkward it can be, but if it is important for you to know this details, you can always just ask without having to give a reason to know. After all, it is not that weird that we ask about our family history every now and then.

Birth control is not my strongest subject so I am not able to give you specific/medical details of what you are asking but I wanted you to know that someone saw your post and as soon as someone with more knowledge is around I'm sure they will answer.

I also want to say kudos to you for taking so good care of yourself. Navigating sexual health is not always easy but I think you are doing a great job, even just asking. :)
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Birth control health risks (cancer + clotting)?

Unread post by Karyn »

Seconding Edith's advice about talking to the healthcare provider who will be doing the insertion: they're the best person to discuss this with. I also agree that you can ask about your family's medical history without needing to mention why; it's a perfectly valid thing to want to know.

That said, I'm not finding any information on whether or not the implant specifically has an impact on someone's risk of breast cancer, and I suspect that's at least partly because it hasn't been around long enough for that information to be available. Unlike the pill, which became available around 50 years ago, the implant is less than ten years old and that's really not long enough to do any reliable studies on its potential long-term effects. The Nexplanon website does state that it is not recommended for use by anyone who currently has breast cancer, or who has had breast cancer in the past, but there's nothing there about a potentially increased risk for developing breast cancer in the future.

Per blood clots, as I understand it, there is a slightly increased risk with any type of hormonal birth control, but it's really very slight and not something that's a concern unless you smoke and/or are over a certain age. Unfortunately, the only person who will be able to tell you whether your cousin's clotting disorder will put you at higher risk is your doctor, and that's something you'll need to bring up with them when you see them.

Given the concerns you've expressed here, though, I'm wondering if you've considered something like the Paragard (copper) IUD instead? It doesn't contain hormones, lasts even longer than the implant, and is not obvious to anyone even right after insertion. (Getting the implant inserted can cause some pretty significant bruising for some people, which may or may not be an issue for you per your parents noticing.)
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic