Spermicides

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
katj456
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I started a yoga club
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she
Sexual identity: straight

Spermicides

Unread post by katj456 »

Do you need to use spermicides with condoms if you're on the pill? I really want to be careful when I have sex
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Spermicides

Unread post by Heather »

You could back up condoms with spermicide or some other method if you wanted, but it isn't required. Whether someone does or doesn't back up condoms -- or any other method -- with a second method is generally about how comfortable they feel using just the one, and if just that one method provides the level of effectiveness they want.

If someone wants the best protection from pregnancy possible, while still engaging in intercourse, then what we know does that is dual contraception: using two reliable methods, rather than one, OR one of the most reliable methods which leaves little or no room for user error, like the implant or IUD.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
katj456
not a newbie

Unread post by katj456 »

Thank you! I'm already on the pill, which I take extra care in making sure I take it correctly, and I bought condoms for further protection against pregnancy and STI's, along with plan B in case the condom rips, so I think I'm well protected
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

By all means, once a person is at two methods, used consistently and correctly, they're at about as much protection as they can get. Adding a third just really can't increase your protection more (unless you're using two of the least effective methods, like say, withdrawal and spermicide, then add one of the most effective methods, like an IUD).

Too, just so you know moving forward, so long as you're taking your pill properly, know there's nothing Plan B can do that your pill isn't already doing already, and more effectively. And if you're using condoms properly -- and that includes using additional lubricant, something a lot of people overlook -- they're not at all likely to rip. Condoms only break about one in every 2,000 uses, and even then, that's often about improper use or storage.

In other words, if you make sure to always use both condoms and your pill consistently and correctly, and those two methods are feeling like a good fit for you, there's just no need to fret about other or more methods, as you've already got a winning combination.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
katj456
not a newbie

Unread post by katj456 »

Thank you! And I know that my birth control does what plan B does in preventing ovulation and creating thicker cervical mucus, and condoms are very effective methods of birth control! I feel very protected with the methods I'm currently using, because if the condom rips, I still have birth control that I take correctly and prevents me from ovulating! Thanks!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic