Interactions with birth control

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
silverc
not a newbie

Interactions with birth control

Unread post by silverc »

Hi! I have a question on the pill. If you take any of the medications that interfere with it for how long do you need back up? I took only one pill of this medication my doctor prescribed before realizing it affected my pill. I talked to him and we found another option so I stopped taking that medicine. I am not super worried about this right now because me and my boyfriend are not engaging in activities that pose a pregnancy risk. But because I consider starting in the future I wanted to ask. I couldn't find the information on the little booklet that comes with the pills either.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Interactions with birth control

Unread post by Heather »

It ultimately depends on how safe you want to play it. Because the pill doesn't give any protection from infections, and it isn't 100%, a lot of people always use a second method, especially condoms. Using two methods is what's shown to be the best way to prevent pregnancy (and it also means you don't have to sweat it with a situation like this), and again, condoms give protection from things the pill can't.

But if always backing up isn't what you want to do, then with something like this, you can be pretty darn sure you're covered if you backup for the whole rest of a pill pack after using a medication that may interfere with its effectiveness. So, you back up until you're out of active pills for that pack, then can start the next pack only using the pill.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
silverc
not a newbie

Unread post by silverc »

My boyfriend and I always use condoms. But I am very concerned about pregnancy so we are on a break from sex until I can deal with it. This break certainly will last till the end of this pack of pills. When we start again I want to make sure I am as comfortable and secure as possible. Thank you so much for the help!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

I'm so glad to hear you took that break for yourself: rock on you with that self-care, and with recognizing your needs and making them a priority! :)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic