Questions/Anxiety

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
aj2234
not a newbie
Pronouns: she/her

Questions/Anxiety

Unread post by aj2234 »

Hi there,

I've noticed lately that I've been spiralling into a pattern of worst-case scenario-ing with regards to my pill. I've been getting caught up in the post-pill side effects that certain people seem to be having. Granted, these are just from forums and I'm not regarding them as credible, but I am the anxious type, so they've slowly been getting to me. I was just wondering if there was any correlation between birth control, endometriosis, PCOS, and other hormone-related diseases. I'm supposing that a lot of the forums use are just using conjecture, but I just wanted to be sure.
Also, any tips for not automatically assuming that I'll have a wide array of problems after coming off the pill?

Thanks a lot.
aj2234
not a newbie

Re: Questions/Anxiety

Unread post by aj2234 »

Oop - Just wanted to attach another question to this. Given that I'm currently on the pill, would any hormonal-related results in my blood test accurately reflect whether or not I have a condition such as PCOS? I'm due for a routine blood test anyway.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi aj2234,

Well, given that the pill is often proscribed for people with PCOS, it's unlikely to be the cause of that illness :) As for the others, you can get a sense of what's a realistic symptom of the pill here: Combined Oral Contraceptives (The Pill)

As for how not to assume the worst, step one would be to steer clear of internet forums that are unmoderated. The next step would be to learn practice accepting that your body may react in unpredictable ways, and that it doing so is not the end of the world, even if it's a little awkward or uncomfortable for a bit. Too, if you find yourself having a hard time focusing on facts and shaking fears, it might be time to talk to a counselor (if you're not already doing so)
aj2234
not a newbie

Unread post by aj2234 »

That's definitely true. Thank you for that. I'm studying health at the moment and we had to question our own mortality as part of the course, and doing so has sort of shaken my anxiety a bit, so I'm a bit in overdrive right now, I suppose. I know my body pretty well and know that, while I had semi-irregular periods before the pill (i.e. varying between 28-34 days), they weren't painful or anything else symptomatic of PCOS.

I have actually seen a psychologist for other reasons, but found that I didn't really like the experience, so I'm just trying to power through on my own.
Thank you for your advice.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

You're welcome :) (yeah, course work that makes you think about death or mortality can be a little anxiety inducing, especially if you're prone to those sorts of mindsets). I'm sorry to hear that you didn't have a good experience with your last therapist. Finding someone who works for you can be tricky, so if you do start to feel an increase in your anxiety, it might be good to see what mental health resources you have access to through something like the student health center, since anxiety is a heck of a thing to try and power through.
aj2234
not a newbie

Unread post by aj2234 »

I might consider it, but it was more the experience of psychology itself, rather than my psychiatrist - I found cognitive behavioural therapy quite useful, but the experience of psychology was very very draining (emotionally) for me. But, I will consider it if I'm still bothered by the same problems.
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Unread post by Redskies »

If you've found some CBT techniques useful, would some guided DIY-ing of the anxiety be something you'd be interested in? If it is, I know that a book Heather often recommends is "My Anxious Mind" by Dr Michael Tompkins. That might be a more educated, expert source of 'how not to assume the worst' than we can be :)
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
aj2234
not a newbie

Unread post by aj2234 »

Oo, thank you for that, I'll look into it! I think I'm more suited to things like that. :)
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

I also just recently grabbed -- in the last couple of years, so many of our users have been struggling with anxiety, so I've turned into a rather avid reader around this topic! -- "The Mindful Way through Anxiety: Break Free from Chronic Worry and Reclaim Your Life" by Susan M. Orsillo and Lizabeth Roemer. It seems very good to me so far, and will probably wind up being one I recommend with the Tompkins book.

I was just telling another user the other day that mindfulness work -- which is often integrated into BCT work, to the point there's now MCBT, which is mindfulness-integrated CBT therapy -- has been strongly associated with helping people to manage anxiety very effectively. So, either through the above book or just by reading about it online, that might be another good avenue for you.

I would add that I think therapy being emotionally draining is really common, especially at first. It's kind of part of the deal that when we dig into our deepest and most challenging stuff, we're going to feel worn out, just like someone doing things that are very physically challenging will feel tired. IMO, I find what's most helpful for figuring out if therapy is the right things for us or not not being if we feel better or worse, necessarily, or drained or not, but if what we're doing feels important, and like where it seems to be going is going to benefit our whole lives, especially in the long run. I know it's kind of hard to take a long view of this stuff when you're struggling and suffering, and maybe you did and your answer was "Nope, it doesn't feel important or likely to be beneficial down the road." But just thought I'd toss that out there as food for thought about therapy.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
aj2234
not a newbie

Unread post by aj2234 »

Thank you for your suggestions, Heather. My therapist had mentioned mindfulness practice in our sessions, but said I wasn't doing it 'properly'. I took it as more of a yoga/meditation-like practice of acknowledging and letting thoughts go, but was told that it wasn't the case. I will try and look into it again, though. I appreciate your input. I just don't think therapy was for me. I didn't really like that I had to bring things to the table. My therapist even seemed to be a bit annoyed that I didn't have anything to say (it was a very busy time for me at this point and I was overwhelmed). I think I prefer learning things that I can do to help myself, particularly because a lot of people in my life have mental health issues and it's good to be able to understand them as well.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic